• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Radiant surface units not working on GE Range JBP79AS2AA (circa 1995 stove)

RoyN

Model Number
JBP79AS2AA
Brand
GE
None of the four radiant surface heating units are working. When I turn any of the four control knobs from LO to HI position the indicator lamp next to the knob lights up, but the 'hot surface' lamp on the glass cooktop does not illuminate, nor do any of the heating units get warm or hot. But when I turn any of the four control knobs from the OFF position towards the LO position the 'hot surface' indicator lamp on the glass cooktop does illuminate, but when I continue to turn the knob closer to the LO position the 'hot surface' indictor lamp then goes out.

The clock, timer, and other controls on the touch oven control display pad appear to be working. But the oven heating element is not heating up no matter what the oven temperature is set to on the control display pad.

Might I have a defective Electric Oven Control (discontinued part AP2026760 ?), or maybe a blown fuse, or something else?

I bought this range in April 1995 and it has worked fine until today.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you're missing one leg of power. Measure the voltage where the power cord connects to the machine. The wire terminals on the surface switch are labeled. Look for L1 and L2 and measure the voltage across the two. It should be 220 VAC
3 and 4 wire voltage.jpg
C-Infinate Switch-3.jpg