• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RAMB-036JAZ Rheem AC Fan stopping

Nelson

Premium Member
Model Number
RAMB-036JAZ
Brand
-major brand-
I have a Rheem RAMB-036JAZ Serial 6263 AC integrated with my downdraft oil heater / central air unit. I started the AC today for the first time this year. Every thing was looking / sounding good, the unit was putting out cold air so after a while we went out. When we returned home the house was a bIt warmer than we expected. I noticed the fan in the compressor / condenser unit behind the house was not running. I ended up resetting the breaker on the unit outside. While troubleshooting I noticed the fan moved freely. When I finally restored power via the reinserting the fuses on the panel near the condenser unit, it took a nudge to get the fan moving again. It ran for a while and stopped. Power is getting to the fan per measurements taken on, what I believe is the fan motor side of the collector. MFD date is 11/99.

I haven 't checked the capacitor yet for bulges, etc. It's late...

If the capacitor looks good I'm guessing there is a thermal cut out in the fan motor that is overheating and the fan motor needs to be replaced.

Sound reasonable? I'm open to other ideas...

Thanks

Nelson

Premium Member
Thank you. Is there anything I can do to test the capacitor other than look at it for bulges? From what I can recall there isn't, but my knowledge is rather dated...

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Nelson

Premium Member
It appears to be the capacitor. Thank you for the testing video. It is a dual capacitor. Connections are Common (Black cap), FAN (Lower value) Green Cap, and HERM (Higher value) White Cap. Common to HERM tests good. Common to FAN gets no response on meter. Capacitor is P/N: 43-23204-15 50/5/370 round.

Closest replacement I see in parts is 43-25133-25 which is unfortunately a special order.

Can you recommend a replacement?

Thanks again !

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Closest replacement I see in parts is 43-25133-25 which is unfortunately a special order.
I don't know of the closest replacement.

Go to Johnstone Supply Company and ask them, they should have one that would match up to it.

Or any HVAC parts place in your area.

Jake