• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Rattling/Squeaking Electrolux Dryer EFMG627UIW0

tfresquez

Premium Member
Model Number
EFMG627UIW0
Brand
Electrolux
I have a three year old gas Electrolux LuxCare dryer that is making a loud rattling/squeaking noise. I have been having this issue for over one year. Here is a video of the noise:

I have read that this noise could be caused by lint in the fan assembly or a cracked fan. I removed the lint in the fan a couple of times in the past which eliminated the issue for a few months. I have also replaced the fan, even though I did not observe any cracks in the fan. However, I took the dryer apart yesterday and thoroughly cleaned the fan and the inside of the dryer. After reassembling it, the noise was the same. I checked and lubricated the drum rollers, which seem fine.

The noise occurs mainly when the heat is on and dissipates between the heat cycles. It sounds like the noise is coming from the back of the dryer, but it is hard to tell. If I press hard on the back panel of the dryer, I can get the noise to stop.

I would appreciate any thoughts on what could be causing this noise.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I can't tell too much from the video because there's clothes in it. Next time run it empty.
I checked and lubricated the drum rollers,
Bad idea! Replace all four rollers and the idler pulley (general maintenance). Clean the roller shafts with steel wool and make sure there is no play in the roller. Do not lubricate the rollers. Inspect the belt for any pieces missing.

tfresquez

Premium Member
Thanks for the response Rick!

I tend to want to lubricate all moving parts. I would be interested in knowing why it is a bad idea to lubricate the rollers.

Also, from the part information you sent on the rollers, it appears I will need to replace the shafts as well as the rollers. I did not think the rollers and idler arm would be an issue since the dryer is not that old. But if that takes care of the issue, I am happy to replace them.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
why it is a bad idea to lubricate the rollers.
The high heat environment and friction causes the spinning rollers to attract lint and dust particles. The lint/dust infused lubricants turn into a glue like substance and now works like a fine grade sandpaper. Dryer rollers wear out eventually. Usually you just replace the rollers. If you use a lubricant, the roller shafts usually need to be replaced at the same time because they show wear spots. You probably don't need to replace the roller shafts on your machine.

Now, that being said, I'm old school. I learned about dryers and lubricants from a Whirlpool factory rep back in the late 80's. I've gone by that ever since. Lubricants have come a long way in the last 30+ years and I'm sure there's one out there that will work but if you need a lubricant for a squeaky or noisy part, it's already too late. You're not fixing it, just prolonging the inevitable. By masking the sound, more parts are wearing out (like roller shafts).
I did not think the rollers and idler arm would be an issue ......... But if that takes care of the issue,
A noise like you described can only come from a few parts with the rollers and idler pulley being the most common. I can't hear what you hear in the video. If you want to make another video with the machine empty and the volume turned up I'll listen to it.
since the dryer is not that old.
Age has nothing to do with it. It's the amount of use and abuse it gets. A 20 year old machine that gets used once a week is going to be in better shape than a brand new machine that gets used 3 times a day and is overloaded each time.

Braffy04

Hi, I've got an electrolux gas dryer of similar age making the same noise. Did you ever figure out what was causing the noise?

Thanks in advance!

tfresquez

Premium Member
I have finally solved the problem. The issue was the that the burner tube was rubbing against the side of the gas valve. If you grab the end of the burner tube and twist it very slightly, you may be able to replicate the noise like I did. I solved the issue by running a hacksaw between the burner tube and the gas valve to create a gap between burner tube and the gas valve. The dryer is quiet as can be now. I have attached a diagram and a photo of the location.

Attachments

• Electrolux Dryer Noise Fix.pdf
    118.3 KB · Views: 19