FIXED RB215LABP Samsung how to read the error code on the display

edinnj

Premium Member
Model Number
RB215LABP
Brand
Samsung
Samsung RB215LABP just started with this problem. The display on the front says Freezer is 8f and fridge is 34f yet the fridge is about 52f noticed when my beer were not as cold and put a dial temp gauge inside. The freezer is working fine, ice tray is full. Before I go order a new fridge sensor I thought about doing a self test, I searched the web and found holding the Super Freeze and Super Cool a the same time for 8 sec the unit will do a self test and display any errors.

Attached is the display error code which I have no idea what it in fact means.
display.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

edinnj

Premium Member
thanks jake. I downloaded the manual on page 38 it shows the error codes but none even come close to what my display is showing. I am thinking just changing out the temp sensor since it is only like $10 and hope it works.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, its always best to use the service manual to test parts before replacing them.:)

That manual should have the Diagnostics Mode you can put it in and see what error code you get.

Jake

edinnj

Premium Member
yes that is what i did and posted the pic. But the pic does not match up with anything in the manual.

well I reset the power this morning and the temp display was at 53f but has not changed for 12hrs, so guess I will pull the panel and see what the hack is going on back there tomorrow.

edinnj

Premium Member
OMG i am a dumb ass. I am reading the error codes again and the manual codes are just bad. Samsung printed the page with the dark line as the error code so i was reading the white high lighted lines. Anyway the error codes seems to be U-ART Senor error and fridge deforst heater error. Looking over the parts list it does not seem i can just buy the heater only :( i may have to buy the whole assembly and bend the taps and pull the new heater and sensor off and use them than i don't have to worry about discharge and recharge the system.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad you found the error codes.

I'd first ohm test the defrost heater with a multimeter, watch the video below.

If the defrost heater is bad, then it looks like you have no choice than to order the evaporator/defrost heater assembly, but you ONLY need to replace the defrost heater, not the evaporator coil, so you wouldn't need to discharge and recharge the sealed system. When you click the link below to the evaporator/defrost heater assembly you will see the DO-IT-YOURSELF story about he did that same thing.

Here's the evaporator/defrost heater assembly for your model:
Samsung DA96-00017G Assy Evap-Ref - AppliancePartsPros.com

[video=youtube_share;311BiD76iYg]https://youtu.be/311BiD76iYg[/video]

Jake

edinnj

Premium Member
well did the test on the heater and i do have continuity. so looks like i have other issues. powered on the unit and put it forced defrost mode and tested the plugs for power and i only got noting. The defrost heater had about 85 ohm on the meter.

Attach is the pic the blue plug on the left seems like a sensor, the middle one is the defrost heater (red and white).

The right plug is maybe a sensor? (black, red)

This plug had 110v.

20161223_120726.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

edinnj

Premium Member
thanks Jake will order those two parts. The Thermal fuse I tested with the meter and it does not have any continuity so i assume it is bad? Does the power go from the board to the thermal fuse than to the heaters? So without the thermal fuse no power is getting to the heaters?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The Thermal fuse I tested with the meter and it does not have any continuity so i assume it is bad?
Yup, that would be correct.

Does the power go from the board to the thermal fuse than to the heaters? So without the thermal fuse no power is getting to the heaters?
The power goes through both the thermal fuse sensor and the defrost sensor, which are number 3 and 4 in the parts diagram I linked you to above.:)

So yes, I'd order both, just to be on the safe side, they are not that expensive.:)

Jake

edinnj

Premium Member
Jake, here is the update.

1) the the refeg not cooling was fixed after I replaced the thermal fuse.

2) few months later I saw ice pooling inside of the freezer, opened it, tested thermal fuse was ok. (I now stock one just in case.) turned out it was the drain all iced up, not letting the water drain out. The OEM drain heater is no longer sold, so I just did the cheap copper wire trick wrap around the heater, and stick a little wire down the drain. All is well.

3) just this week my refrig is iced up, the compressor is running none stop. The front display read 34F. Check the code and nothing. Reset power and when it first powers up, the temp display correctly at 10F (I double checked the temp with a hand held probe), but starts to move up slowly over time. I have ordered the temp sensor hope to install that soon. If that does not work, I guess I have to buy a new main board.
ed

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

edinnj

Premium Member
no. Freezer is working fine. Current problem is the Refrigerator running none stop and causing the food to freeze. I believe it is the thermistor and I have it on order DA32-10105s. The temperature of the refrigerator did display correctly when the unit is first powered on. (was display at 10F) But the temperature slowly moves up.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

edinnj

Premium Member
well the thermistor came today. Since the refrigerator been off for days, I checked all the thermistor sensors, there are 1 outside of the refrigerator, 2 are located inside of the refrigerator, and 1 located inside of the freezer. I used an Ohm meter and test the new one got about 5k ohm and the 2 in the refrigerator both also came to 5k. tested the freezer one and nothing. Replaced the freezer thermistor and all is well again.

Did some research and it seems Samsung uses the same thermistor, yet each one in the refrigerator and freezer has a different part #. It turns out the part # just gives it different length of wire, and how the wires end plug attaches. Even if you have the wrong part # plug end it is easy to switch. The wires from the thermistors are pushed into the plug and held together by a plastic clip. You can just remove the clip, and install the new thermistor wires into the old plug and done.

so this samsung is 13years old and still kicking.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that fixed it.:)

Yes, as I mentioned in PM Samsung makes a horrible parts replacement system, when it comes to those thermistors especially.:)

Thanks for the update! That will help others too.:)

Jake