• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED RB217 Samsung water in bottom of refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoardSMITH

Premium Member
hi,

Why or what makes draining hole to accumulate ice that blocks drainage?
Is upper gets so cold that freezes condensed water in the channel and drain hole?

What newer upgraded probe looks like?
Can I upgrade the probe by myself and how to get that new probe?

thanks.
The upgraded defrost probe looks like the older version, only longer. I suppose the older version wasn't long enough to actually do the job it was designed to do. Seems Samsung ignored the problem and didn't test enough.

I had A&E do the "repairs" so I can't speak with authority about how to obtain an upgraded defrost probe. A&E ordered the replacement parts and they all came from Samsung which A&E says controls the ordering process tightly. I would look in the Yellow Pages to find an appliance parts store to see if they can order the new probe.

I have no idea why the water freezes in the drain channel like it does. Maybe the drain channel is to close to the cooling coil. Maybe it is just a stupid design. Maybe Samsung just doesn't care what kind of crap they put out for sale. I just don't know. But I would agree that the reason is a combination of the three I mentioned with stupid design leading the way. How about it Samsung rep who reads here? What does Samsung intend to do? Nothing? Or something? I would bet the Samsung rep will say nothing at all!

BTW As an additional statement, I still have water dripping into the bottom of the refrigerator compartment after having service calls for over a year for the same problem.

Last edited:

BoardSMITH

Premium Member
HOORAY! Finally heard from A&E today and they have agreed, finally, to replace the crappy Samsung with another brand. Goodby Samsung, I'm soory I wasted my money on you!

sobeonekanobe

This is an ongoing problem that is a design flaw by Samsung. So many post I would imagine a class action suit is in the wings. My wife spent most of the day writing a post that Samsung would not post. Here it is and DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT.
Very defective product and costly mistake! Wish we had seen all the independent internetreviews of this refrigerator BEFORE we purchased it two and a half years ago. Water pools under the large deli drawernecessitating pulling out the drawer and mopping up the water everymorning. If you neglect to do this forseveral days, the water will freeze and become ice and the deli drawer willthen become jammed. Repairman out twiceto 'fix' leak, seal, temperature. It isstill not resolved and we are still mopping up the water every morning. The leak is so bad that there are rust stainson the back of the refrigerator behind the removable back panel, which was alsorusted and replaced. After a few months,we are back to where we were before and cannot afford to have a repairmanreturn several times a year to fix the leak. We contacted Lowes and theyreferred us to Samsung. We contacted Samsung and were told we are responsiblefor the repairs! We feel that a refrigerator of this cost and alleged qualitywould have performed for more than two years. Before you consider purchasingthis refrigerator, think very hard before you are seduced by its featuresunless you have money to burn.
<o:p> </o:p>
Sorry2ThrowAway$
We simply cannot believe that Samsung will not stand behindits name and product and rectify this problem.

BoardSMITH

Premium Member
sobeonekanobe - Sorry you are also having the same problem as a lot of people are. I'm sure Samsung knows of the problem and the rep who reads here has ignored the complaints almost 100% except for a few assorted posts that were completely out in left field.

So what can you do? Purchase a "Master Service" plan from A&E through Sears and after they have replaced parts in four or five service calls without actually fixing the problem, you can have them replace it under the terms of the contract. It may take some doing but I was willing to call them once a month for more service calls just to get some satisfaction. Evidently the good folks over at Samsung are only to willing to ignore their design flaw and let the consumer deal with what is their creation. Be sure to document the calls for future reference. The service agreement is somewhat expensive but not as much as a new refrigerator.

BTW I just purchased two new smart phones. Samsung was an option and the lower cost option. But I chose iPhones instead because there will never be another Samsung product in my household. READ THIS samsung rep!!!!! Your inability and inaction and that of your handlers is costing the company sales.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats why I advise my customers and everyone here on our ApplianceBlog Forums to stay away from LG and Samsung appliances, stick with the big boys: Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana, Admiral, Roper, Estate, Frigidaire and GE.

Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana, Admiral, Roper, Estate, Frigidaire and GE all have 50 plus years each of manufacturing appliances, Samsung and LG have only 8 years, I advise people to stick with Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana, Admiral, Roper, Estate, Frigidaire and GE.

LG and Samsung make good TV's and monitors, I'm using a Samsung monitor now as I'm typing this, but not major home appliances, and their customer service is really bad as you can see.

Jake

Chuck_72

Where does this water go?

I see a lot of posts all over the web about water pooling in the bottom of Samsung Refrigerator under vegetable drawers. I have seen responses such as condensation, water leaks from water dispensers, and so on. Remove drawers and look at back wall. If water is leaking from under panel, you will probably see streaks on the wall, your defrost drain is probably clogged. Remove back panel, 3 screws, and check drain. Mine was completely froze up. Manually defrost, I used hot tap water and poured it in and wiped it away. Poured it in and wiped it away. After a many pours, drain opened up and was clear. Re-installed panel and voila, no water in bottom of fridge. Good luck
Hello everyone!

I've had my Samsung 3-Door fridge for just over 2 years, and a few weeks ago started noticing this issue.

So, after following this instructions I got the drain to unfreeze and water started flowing again. Unfortunately, just 2 days after, it was frozen again and water started pooling again.

I had increased the temperature a couple of degrees, but that didn't help.

What can I do? And where is this water supposed to go? Where does this defrost drain go? My fridge is not connected to any water line (and I have the ice maker turned off).

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Chuck

mikek753

Premium Member
It's not even 2 months after I cleared drain hole and it's dripping again.
I plan to order heat probe and install it.
I don't want to remove ice from drainage hole every month.
Not sure what else to do?

I'm not sure that Samsung wants to care for this matter as it's over 1 year promised warranty.
So, maybe it's by design to push consumers to buy new refrigerator every year?

Urlik

Premium Member
Brand: Samsung
Model: RF267ABRS French door, bottom freezer refridgerator

Well, after 5 years I've had the same issue. The drain was iced but the tray itself was not. After reading this thread a few weeks back I upped my fridge temps a bit in hopes that alone would do it but I had no luck. The drain is now clear thanks to warm salt water, it was only iced an inch or so down. To be safe though I've ordered the whirlpool defrost drain strap and I'll try putting that in next week to avoid future issues. I'm thinking to install this drain I'll have to drill out the rivet on the strap that's there and replace it with the whirlpool one. If anyone else has done this already I'd love to hear how you installed it.

Just for history. I also had to replace the ice maker in this unit several years ago when the heater in it failed and ice could no longer come out of it. (clicking noise is the symptom)

NOTE: There are 4 screws to remove to get the back panel off. One is behind a removable cover at the top of the shelving holder in the center of the cover. The other 3 are along the bottom. The panel is also held on the sides by molded tabs in the cover.

Last edited:

mikek753

Premium Member
hi,

I ordered and installed long whirlpool probe.
Whole procedure took me about 2 hours, while 1:45 min took to remove the panel and defrost ice in drain hole.
I'll know the result in a month or so.
Aluminium tube wasn't fit, so I didn't use it.

Urlik

Premium Member
hi,

I ordered and installed long whirlpool probe.
Whole procedure took me about 2 hours, while 1:45 min took to remove the panel and defrost ice in drain hole.
I'll know the result in a month or so.
Aluminium tube wasn't fit, so I didn't use it.

Did you drill out the rivet on the bottom holder then replace it with the Whirlpool tab and rivet it back into place? That's what I was thinking of doing. I'm not sure the screw would hold since I don't know what's behind there.

mikek753

Premium Member
Did you drill out the rivet on the bottom holder then replace it with the Whirlpool tab and rivet it back into place? That's what I was thinking of doing. I'm not sure the screw would hold since I don't know what's behind there.
No, I didn't
I took some pics
https://plus.google.com/photos/1061...s/5897993156974820449?authkey=CO-B2N3X4p-5hAE

pic 1,2 are after 1 hour fridge was off and with original probe, I placed a wire (on left) to help de-ice, but it didn't work
pic 3,4 after new probe was installed and 1 cycle was run to make sure sensor and heat element works, before putting back the cover.

I might that the sensor isn't in right place or readings are not correct? I don't know.
I don't know why so much ice build up.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

BoardSMITH

Premium Member
mikek753 - Your looks like mine did except I had more rust and the stains on the plastic back under the coils was worse.

Someone asked where the water is supposed to go once the cooling coils have defrosted. There is a drip pan under the unit which is almost completely hidden and not removable. Other refrigerators I have had allowed for removal of the pan for cleaning.

As a follow up; Sears delivered a new Whirlpool 30 cu ft side-by-side refrigerator on 6/29 and hauled off the old, defective Samsung. (The new unit is larger inside yet takes up less space.) The Whirlpool has more usable room inside. Items in the freezer can be seen without having to dig through the drawer and the interior lighting is far superior to Samsung. It runs quieter. The only minor complaint is the ice maker which seems a bit slow. But the ice makers bin is in the door which leaves more usable room in the freezer. All in all I am happy the Samsung is gone and I regret having wasted money and time on it.

As an aside; recently my wife and I were in the market for smartphones to upgrade our old phones. Samsung was considered but I decided to vote with my wallet and purchased two iPhones and an iPad.

babaraccas

Same issue here and before I deal with a service center I want to try to take off the back panel and defrost this sucker myself. I have a RB215ACPN Samsung fridge and I tried to take off the back panel. I removed the screws (marked red in the image below), and got the clips off the sides (marked in green). The top clip on the right, well I'm actually not sure if there's a clip there. It seemed like it. But when I try to pull the panel off if feels like something is still sticking from the yellow arrows up. Before I just pull really hard I was wondering if anyone else had this issue with this model fridge. I really don't want to bust the panel because I'm sure Samsung will charge me an arm and a leg to replace it.

fridgepic.jpg

Also, in the images I see online here it seems like the foam insulation comes off with the panel. But when I started pulling mine, only the panel wanted to come off. The insulation stayed stuck in place. Is it likely that it's all frozen together? Or am I missing a screw or clip?

Say I can't get the panel off, would I get the same results by simply unplugging the fridge for a day and letting the whole thing defrost? That's obviously less convenient.

Urlik

Premium Member
Brand: Samsung
Model: RF267ABRS French door, bottom freezer refridgerator

Well, after 5 years I've had the same issue. The drain was iced but the tray itself was not. After reading this thread a few weeks back I upped my fridge temps a bit in hopes that alone would do it but I had no luck. The drain is now clear thanks to warm salt water, it was only iced an inch or so down. To be safe though I've ordered the whirlpool defrost drain strap and I'll try putting that in next week to avoid future issues. I'm thinking to install this drain I'll have to drill out the rivet on the strap that's there and replace it with the whirlpool one. If anyone else has done this already I'd love to hear how you installed it.

Just for history. I also had to replace the ice maker in this unit several years ago when the heater in it failed and ice could no longer come out of it. (clicking noise is the symptom)

NOTE: There are 4 screws to remove to get the back panel off. One is behind a removable cover at the top of the shelving holder in the center of the cover. The other 3 are along the bottom. The panel is also held on the sides by molded tabs in the cover.
I got the whirlpool probe part yesterday and installed it today. Sorry no pictures (mikek753's 3rd & 4th picture linked above shows what I did anyway). What I did was slide the original Samsung probe over a few inches since I didn't want to risk damaging anything drilling out a rivet. I then put the new probe down into the drain then brought it up behind the defrost element and hung it on it. Then I took needle nose pliers to clamp it to the element as best I could. It's not quite as tight as the Samsung one but the wider width sitting on the element makes me think it won't matter. I did not bother using a screw or rivet on the probe since it won't go anywhere hanging there. In the last week since unplugging my drain I saw no ice in there but I'm in a low humidity part of the country so a week may not be close to long enough for icing. As for the Whirlpool probe, it definitely goes down past where my ice plug was last week where as the Samsung probe didn't go into the drain at all. I fully expect this to fix the problem for me, I will post in here if the problem comes back though. The next option would be jury rigging an electric heater pan to the fan circuit.

Last edited:

Urlik

Premium Member
Is this issue not with sealed parts? Sealed parts are covered for 5 years.
No, the drain freezing is not a sealed part. The sealed parts are basically the compressor system and its associated components that cool and defrost the appliance. For Samsung this is five years parts and labor on the sealed refrigeration system only (compressor, evaporator, condenser, drier, and connecting tubing). The drain that freezes is not connected to this system.

Last edited:

Mikeca

Premium Member
Since this is an ongoing issue there must be some avenue. We had previous water damage from a refrigerator ice maker and our insurance company collected from the appliance company.

If I can get to the drain I can unplug it, just not sure how to get it it.

Urlik

Premium Member
Since this is an ongoing issue there must be some avenue. We had previous water damage from a refrigerator ice maker and our insurance company collected from the appliance company.

If I can get to the drain I can unplug it, just not sure how to get it it.
The coil with the drain below it is on the back wall of the refridgerator. For my specirfic model I had to remove all the shelving to access the panel. Then remove the three screw across the bottom and one screw behind a quarter sized plastic panel in the cover center 3/4 of the way up (this screw also holds the center shelf supprt bracket). Then I just needed to pull the cover away. It did have some molded tabs on the sides that popped out easily. Some poeple's fridges are so frozen over that ice is coming out of the cover's vents. If yours is that bad then the ice may keep you from getting the panel off. If that's the case, I'd unplug the unit then and wait or heat the cover gently with a hair dryer to remove it.

Read carefully through the many good posts on here and check out the photos. They help quite a bit. Be prepared that simply unplugging the drain may not keep the problem from returning. Two of us are trying the Whirlpool probe down the drain. It still hasn't been long enough for either of us to declare victory but so far so good. I know when mine froze too my freezer was set at -8 and the fridge at 34. I'm sure this didn't help me either (one of the other minions in the house problem accidently lowered these temps by pushing buttons). I've since set them at -2 and 38 also.

Last edited:

Mikeca

Premium Member
my temperature settings are correct and it is just water under the drawer. No ice. Would just turning the refrigerator off for a while help?

Status
Not open for further replies.