• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED RB217 Samsung water in bottom of refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urlik

Premium Member
Leaving it unplugged overhight would probably melt the ice plug. Located where it is, it would probably be the last thing to melt. :D Hopefully you have a second fridge or a helpful neighbor if you go that route.

Last edited:

Mikeca

Premium Member
Last night there was water so I cleaned it up, and then turn off the water supply to the frog and adjusted the temperature to 40 from 38.

This morning no water. Now I have to turn the water on and see what happens. If that is thew problem then there is probably a leak somewhere.

Ehat

Premium Member
Its been a few weeks since you installed the heat probe so I was wondering if the problem has reoccurred or not? I found this post extremely helpful and am thinking of installing the whirlpool heat probe as well if it solves this annoying problem with the Samsung fridges.

Tagraham10

I have had same issues with my Samsung fridge. No help from Samsung . They thought they fixed it 3 times but after 2 years trying it still leaks water under the drawer. It's not right that Samsung can continue to sell this type fridge without helping customers who continue to deal with a problem bad enough to have to purchase another major appliance. How do we go about a class action law suit?

clobberator

Premium Member
I'm baaack! :p

7 months after initial cleanup, problem has resurfaced. Model RB216ABRS. Is that drain strap indicated in the previous posts the correct one?

Drain Strap 819043 If so, I'll place an order for one and hope it fixes the problem forever.

Happy Birthday to me I guess. :p

Saad

Premium Member
Hi everyone,

I'm totally new to this stuff but bought a used SAMSUNG RB194ACWP, few days later i discovered that the water leaks inside. I opened the inside cover, and here what i can see:
image (1).jpgimage (2).jpgimage (3).jpgimage.jpg

Note that, in the first days, i was putting the temperature at a very low level, but not just adjusted it to normal.

Can anyone advice me what should i do to fix the issue myself?

Thank you very much in advance.

Urlik

Premium Member
Hi everyone,

I'm totally new to this stuff but bought a used SAMSUNG RB194ACWP, few days later i discovered that the water leaks inside. I opened the inside cover, and here what i can see:
View attachment 12608View attachment 12609View attachment 12610View attachment 12611

Note that, in the first days, i was putting the temperature at a very low level, but not just adjusted it to normal.

Can anyone advice me what should i do to fix the issue myself?

Thank you very much in advance.

The pictures aren't helpful for me. Is the drain below that condensor clogged with ice? If so the whirlpool drain strap we talk about in this thread could fix your problem.

Saad

Premium Member
Thanks Urlik for the reply, i found the drain full of ice, put some hot water and it melted. now what should i do? where that water will go?

Urlik

Premium Member
Thanks Urlik for the reply, i found the drain full of ice, put some hot water and it melted. now what should i do? where that water will go?
The water drains into a pan at the bottom of the refridgerator where it evaporates. Since you ran your fridge extra cold it may be the only reason the drain froze up. If you read through all this thread though you will find many people still have freezing issues even with the frudge temps set correctly. Post #31 in this thread shows the fix that is working for some of us. It invloves buying a $10 aluminum probe for Whirlpool fridges and hanging it down into the drain from the defrost heating element. That way when the fridge goes into deforost cycle it heats up the probe that is hanging where the drain ices shut to melt any ice in the drain.

Saad

Premium Member
i switched the fridge back on now and will wait, i hope that was the only issue caused by low temp.

thanks again for the follow up Urlik.

seizure415

Premium Member
I just want to thank you, Urlik for your willingness to help out.
I've had this water/ice problem with my Samsung refrigerator starting pretty much 1 month after I purchased the thing 2 years ago. Initially, I didn't think much of the issue and just chipped away the ice from inside and under the crisper drawer every few months. But the water and ice problem seemed to worsen over time and it was really starting to bug me how this could happen in such a new appliance. I finally decided not to ignore the problem anymore and did some research last week. Fortunately, I found this forum and studied your suggestion carefully.
Last week, I removed the back panel, de-iced the condenser tray and drain, and installed the whirlpool aluminum probe you suggested. So far, my fridge is dry as a bone... the first time in 2 years!!

Thank you again for taking the time to share your insights. The internet would be worthless if it weren't for helpful people like you who ensure that important information is disseminated.

older_bassman

Just wanted to say thanks to the folks that posted the Whirlpool part number, various photos and other advice. It's been two weeks since replacing the drain probe and no water of any type in or under the drawers.

I noticed that some people had rust problems and thought it was the drain pan causing it. In my refrigerator the pans are aluminum and the rust was actually coming from the screws that hold the fan in place. It looks like Samsung used a cheap zinc plated screw when they should have used stainless. I replaced all four screws in mine with stainless number 8 screws which should eliminate any future rust. Luckily the rust in my fridge was minimal did not get on the plastic panels.

seizure415

Premium Member
It looks like Samsung used a cheap zinc plated screw when they should have used stainless. I replaced all four screws in mine with stainless number 8 screws which should eliminate any future rust. Luckily the rust in my fridge was minimal did not get on the plastic panels.
Great suggestion bassman! I wish I saw your post a few weeks ago when I had the back panel off. Unfortunately, the back of one of my crisper drawers is already a bit rust-stained:sulkiness:

As a side note, my whirlpool probe came shipped with foam insulation liner. I removed the old foam insulation and replaced it with the new stuff, it made me feel like I was doing something useful.

I would also recommend to re-line the condenser tray with new aluminum tape. I noticed that water and ice had migrated under the old aluminum tape and started to crack the plastic back wall.

Thanks again to everyone who chipped in their advice!

Cheers!

blloyd1612

My drain in the back keeps freezing up.Puddles of water under the vegetable drawers.Also,when this happens it causes frost all over my bottom bottom freezer.I have to pull everything out of refrigerator about every 2 weeks to thaw out drain.Any solutions why it keeps freezing up? I also turned my temp up to 40 degrees.

Urlik

Premium Member
My drain in the back keeps freezing up.Puddles of water under the vegetable drawers.Also,when this happens it causes frost all over my bottom bottom freezer.I have to pull everything out of refrigerator about every 2 weeks to thaw out drain.Any solutions why it keeps freezing up? I also turned my temp up to 40 degrees.
Read through this thread, in particular look at the posts about the whirlpool probe some of us have had fix this issue. It's inexpensive and some folks even added photos on how to hang it.

Status
Not open for further replies.