• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED RBD275PDQ6 Whirlpool Double Oven Display Blank Nothing Works

Fox

Premium Member
Model Number
RBD275PDQ6
Brand
Whirlpool
I have 20+ year old double oven that I was acknowledging the timer alarm (just using timer, not oven) and suddenly the control panel display went blank and would not respond to any setting changes. Thought breaker might have kicked so I checked that, no issues there.

Upon further investigation after removing the control panel, I discovered where the terminal connector plugs into the P5-1 and P5-2 port that the P5-1 connection was burnt (see attached picture). I have sent the control panel off for repairs but would like to see if there is some kind of schematic for this oven (RBD275PDQ6) that shows what part of the oven that P5-1 goes to.
I ran across a service manual for a different model and the P5-1 went with the upper oven cooling fan. Could this be what caused the burnt terminal? How do I test it?

I have checked the thermal fuses (both ovens) and they appear to be good. However, I did find a third thermal fuse available (WP4451042) for my model that I cannot locate on the oven. Where is that one?

Thoughts/ideas on what else to check would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Harry

Attachments

• Oven Control Panel Plug.JPG
    Oven Control Panel Plug.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 150

Fox

Premium Member
Thank you for your prompt response Dan. Looks like I have some elements to check out; thanks for the schematic; didn't have one on the stove or the pack of paperwork on the oven. Is there one of these for the cooling fan(s) as well? I think I would like to check those as well while I have this beast out of the wall.

Also, obviously the power needs to be off to work on this but do I need to disconnect totally from the electric panel or is turning the breaker off sufficient? The oven is hardwired in the junction box in the wall. Would unplugging the breaker from the panel work or do I need to completely remove connections to all wires in the junction box? ( Not sure from this comment in PDF "Resistance checks must be made with power cord unplugged from outlet, ....."). Definitely want to be safe.

Thanks,
Harry

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The wiring diagram covers the whole appliance.

Either switching the breakers off or disconnecting the power cord should should be done before working on it.

Dan O.

Fox

Premium Member
My apologies Dan; guess I have tunnel vision, ha! I do see the fans on the schematic. What is the proper way to test the fans to make sure they are ok?

Also, in regards to the thermal fuse (WP4451042) that I cannot locate (mentioned in original post), does that connect between the P7-1 port on control panel and the Black Wire running from the P5-2 Terminal connector (attached pictures)? When I took the panel out there was no fuse there, the P7-1 terminal didn't have anything plugged into it and the black wire was not attached to anything on that end of panel; black wire was just laying there.

Thanks,
Harry

Attachments

• Missing Thermal Fuse connection.JPG
    Missing Thermal Fuse connection.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Missing Thermal Fuse.JPG
    Missing Thermal Fuse.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 36

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Fox4 said:
What is the proper way to test the fans to make sure they are ok?

I don't know why you're testing the motors unless they weren't working before the failure but that is covered in the tech sheet as well.

test-motors.jpg

Fox said:
When I took the panel out there was no fuse there, the P7-1 terminal didn't have anything plugged into it and the black wire was not attached to anything

You must be mistaken. Without the wiring connected to that terminal the control and anything that runs on 120 volts (the control, the motors, the lights, the lock) would not function.

Dan O.

Fox

Premium Member
You must be mistaken. Without the wiring connected to that terminal the control and anything that runs on 120 volts (the control, the motors, the lights, the lock) would not function.
Good evening Dan,
I am assuming from your response that the WP4451042 thermal fuse must go between the black wire connector and the P7-1 spade on control board. Otherwise, I am not sure how those two would connect together as they are both male spades.

The picture I posted is how the control board was prior to removal. There was nothing connected between that pink connector on the black wire and the spade terminal (P7-1) on control board. The oven worked for many years since the Whirlpool tech last changed the panel out while the oven was under warranty. Perhaps he knew a way to bypass installing this fuse; I do not know. All I know is what is shown in the picture is how it was when I began removing the panel.

Am I correct in my assumption that the WP4451042 thermal fuse goes between the black wire pink connector and the P7-1 spade on control board (see yellow arrow in attached picture)?

Thanks,
Harold

Attachments

73.9 KB · Views: 33

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It has to be inline with the wire that goes to the P7-1 terminal. It could technically be anywhere in the wiring circuit prior to connecting with that terminal. Anywhere from L1 at the main terminal block to that terminal. In fact, it would make more sense wired as shown in this edited image as it would also cut power to all the elements at the same time and not just the control.

alt location2.jpg

In fact it might actually be illustrated that way in that unit's wiring diagram. You can check if you ever find it. The most current documentation will be always included with the appliance itself. Stuff on the internet can be outdated and you have to take with with a grain of salt. That's why it's better using the appliance's own documentation rather than relying upon copies from the Internet.

Follow that heavier gauge wire all the way to the L1 of main terminal block. That safety thermostat should be along the route.

Dan O.

Fox

Premium Member
Good evening Dan,
If I connect the WP4451042 thermal fuse between the P7-1 spade and the pink end of the black wire at P7-1, will that work? The black wire has no in-line fuse anywhere as can be seen in the attached picture. I am assuming the heavier gauge wire you are referring to is that black wire. The black wire actually has TF-2 printed on it. I assume TF = thermal fuse.

Thanks,
Harry

Attachments

• Missing Thermal Fuse connection 2.JPG
    Missing Thermal Fuse connection 2.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 35

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
You shouldn't need to add anything. Any fuse required should be there already. I was suggesting the fuse shown in the wiring diagram may be elsewhere on the appliance and not necessarily right at those wiring connections.

JMO

Dan O.

Fox

Premium Member
I cannot find the WP4451042 thermal fuse (anywhere on the stove or control board. It is this fuse I am wondering if it goes between the P7-1 spade and the pink end of the black wire at P7-1.

Paul, the yellow arrow in picture is where I am thinking this WP4451042 fuse goes (pics attached). This fuse has the two female connections that would fit the two male ends (one being P7-1 Spade and the other being the Male spade on black wire coming from P5-2 on control board).

Thanks,
Harry

Attachments

73.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Wall Oven Thermal Fuse.JPG
    Wall Oven Thermal Fuse.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 34

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
paulhl said:
The one yesterday at 6:30 with the arrow

That is a wire terminal with a pinkish plastic insulator. The arrow shows the terminal it attaches onto. The picture next to it shows the terminal insulator from a side view.

Fox said:
I cannot find the WP4451042 thermal fuse (anywhere on the stove or control board.

Than maybe your oven model never had one? As I stated, the wiring diagram i posted isn't necessary for your exact unit. Only the one that came with the appliance should be relied upon.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
On looking closer at this picture again, the wire terminal pointed to in blue is a male terminal. I missed when you mentioned that earlier.

terminal.jpg

In that case the fuse could very well attached between those two terminals as the fuse has 2 female terminals that would mate with the female ones.

I however can't fathom how there was never anything there previously.

Dan O.

Last edited:

Fox

Premium Member
On looking at this picture again, is the wire terminal pointed to in blue a male or female terminal?
It is the same type as the one on the control board; I believe it is called a male spade terminal. It would make sense to me that the WP4451042 thermal fuse could possibly fit there since both terminal ends of the fuse are female. That's why I was asking if this is where that fuse might go.

Thanks,
Harry

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I updated my last post while you were replying.

[If both are male] the fuse could very well attached between those two terminals as the fuse has 2 female terminals that would mate with the female ones.

I however can't fathom how there was never anything connected there previously.

Dan O.

Fox

Premium Member
I agree with you it is difficult to understand the fuse not being there. That's why I made the comment earlier speculating that maybe the tech that installed the panel the last time knew a way to make it work without the fuse.

I rec'd a voicemail back from company that is rebuilding the control panel for me and they said to make sure that I put in a thermal fuse. I am guessing that they found a problem that indicated it might have been missing?? Supposed to get the panel back on Monday.

Thanks,
Harry

Fox

Premium Member
I need to remove some of the black tape wrapped around wires in the harness to be able to repair the P5-1 connector. The tape looks like it has a weave in the tape; doesn't look like electrical tape I am use to using. What kind of tape is it or can I just use normal electrical tape like Scotch Super 33+ tape?

Also, what is safe to use to clean all the sticky dust off the electrical connections? I have tried the moisture free air in a can and the connectors just laugh at it. Tried using toothbrush to brush it off but it doesn't clean everything off. Would Electrical Contact Cleaner be OK to use?

Thanks,
Harry

Attachments

• Oven Cleaning Dust.jpg
    Oven Cleaning Dust.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Oven Electrical Tape.jpg
    Oven Electrical Tape.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 28