• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RBS245PDT14 Whirlpool single oven goes dead, cools off comes back on.

fyxxer

Premium Member
Model Number
RBS245PDT14
Brand
Whirlpool
Our Whirlpool electric single 24" oven (in biscuit) on Christmas Eve was cooking a prime rib at 475 and just shut off. No display no nothing. We went in to emergency mode , shuffled the prime rib to the Insta-Pot and soldiered on. After a while the oven cooled off and power was restored and displayed PF-power failure.

After a day or two I did a test and set it for 475 and checked it every 5 minutes to see if had been naughty again and sure enough at about 50 minutes it went out. Cooled down came back up. YESTERDAY did it again while she was cooking at I think 425. A 19 year old unit.

A service guy from A&E service said it was the ERC and it's no longer available. But he didn't even open it up to look at it. On the back of the oven I see in the parts diagram a thermostat /fuse. Is it resettable as in could it be getting weak and opening at cooking temps? Also it SEEMS like I hear a fan motor chugging along , if the fan was going out could this cause it? Any other suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the cooling fan bearing sounds like its wearing out, thus its not blowing the air fast enough.

Here's the cooling fan for your model:
Cooling Blower Kit WP4455334

On the back of the oven I see in the parts diagram a thermostat /fuse. Is it resettable as in could it be getting weak and opening at cooking temps?
No, that's only for the elements to shut down, and its a one-time thermal fuse, its not resettable.:)

Jake

fyxxer

Premium Member
That motor looks like an evaporator fan motor . I wonder of I could just replace the fan motor? So what part is getting overheated and shutting it down?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member