• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RCA side by side icemaker problems

marisha

Premium Member
I don't see RCA on this blog but since it was made by GE thought I would see if help is available. We have RCA side by side Model MSX27D bought in 1991. Have had no problem with ice maker until a couple of days ago. I shut off fridge for about 1 hour in order to clean freezer. It's been 46 hours since turned back on and ice maker has only dropped ice twice. Don't know what I could have done but hope help is available.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Has it dumped more today, or is it still slow?

Sometimes it can take 24-72 hours to come back to normal,

Keep us posted,:)

Jake

marisha

Premium Member
RCA icemaker problem

It's been about 4 1/2 days and still doesn't work right...it doesn't seem to be ejecting the ice unless I pull the arm up to off position and down to on a couple of times....then, the ice will sit on top the tray until I do that routine again....the ice then falls into the bin and a minute or so later the tray fills with water.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like the ice maker sensor switch has gone bad on you, its kinda ironic this happened after you shut off the refrigerator for a hour, but 10 years plus for a ice maker working is pretty good, compared to ones i fix that are only 2-5 years old.
Its better to replace the whole ice maker, than just the sensor switch, but its costly, thats the only downfall.

Jake

marisha

Premium Member
RCA icemaker problem

Jake, thank you very much for your time. There is an icemaker available for RCA's? Would this be a job too difficult for do-it-yourselfer? Icemaker's on the new refrigerators only last 2-5 years?

Thanks again for your help,
Marisha

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Jake, thank you very much for your time. There is an ice maker available for RCA's?
Yes, here is a link, they have re-designed it abit but works well. Ice Maker

Would this be a job too difficult for do-it-yourselfer?
Not really , just has 2-3 screws to remove, then it just plugs in.

Ice maker's on the new refrigerators only last 2-5 years?
Nope, Some will go 10+ years like yours, some only 10 days or 10 months.

The reason some just go 10 days or 10 months is either there was a slight defect flaw on one of the internal parts, or just a bad internal part that failed too early, Thats why all Refrigerators come with a full 1 yr. warranty. Usually if it gets past that first yr. it should keep going for a long time to come.

Jake