RDDB301 Viking Dishwasher No lights won't start beeps 3 times

mojoredbeakster

Premium Member
Model Number
RDDB301
Brand
This is a Viking D3, RDDB301 dishwasher. I have had it for a for I think a little under 10 years. It won't start at all. When I press any of the control buttons excluding the start button no led will light but it will beep 3 times every time. The start button will do the reset. It will run the drain pump and I poured water in to see if it would actually drain and it does. I can hear it. It's been sitting for awhile now. This all began one day when luckily I was home and the water valve failed in the open state and flooded the dishwasher and wouldn't stop so I shut off water going to it and after months of waiting the new one came in and I replaced it and turned the water back on. Yay no water flooding the dishwasher. It ran a cycle fine after fixing that and then it started doing this current problem. I don't think the problems are connected but maybe they are. I replaced the door switch that didn't do anything. Any ideas out there?
It has been sitting for about 3 months now dead and the other day it started beeping and the pot/pans light and the normal light were continuously blinking and that is suppose to be the water in the bottom pan fault switch. I thought the switch went bad so I took a look and there was water in the bottom pan. Not a lot but enough to set off that fault. Which at least tells me that fault circuit works and those lights will light even though they won't light when I push them. No I idea where that water came from since I haven't even tried to run this thing in months.
I hate giving up on this. I have a hard time throwing in the towel.

JackJ

Premium Member
I'm having the Pots and Normal lights blinking, too. I reset it, but a second later it throws the same code beeps. As you noted, it's tied to the moisture sensor in the Base Pan. But what causes the moisture to be in the pan? I presume that it's not draining properly? If so, why would one troubleshoot the moisture sensor and the resistance at the control board for it without first figuring out why there's moisture there? Am I right in my understanding of the situation?

Can I access the pan without pulling the unit out? I had leakage coming from the front of the unit before it shut down and started beeping, so it must have overflowed?
I couldn't find a service manual for it, but did for a different model Viking which looks similar, and it shows putting the unit on its side to remove the base pan, but can I vacuum out the water without doing that, or does that not get down to the pan from the inside?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

mojoredbeakster

Premium Member
The fix

Hey Jack, there is a flow switch that controls the water going into dishwasher and when it breaks the water will get into your dishwasher when you aren’t using it and pumping it out. Then it gets to the base and trips that water switch in tray. You will have to pull the washer out to get to the flow switch to replace and then dry pan. Good luck!
I'm having the Pots and Normal lights blinking, too. I reset it, but a second later it throws the same code beeps. As you noted, it's tied to the moisture sensor in the Base Pan. But what causes the moisture to be in the pan? I presume that it's not draining properly? If so, why would one troubleshoot the moisture sensor and the resistance at the control board for it without first figuring out why there's moisture there? Am I right in my understanding of the situation?

Can I access the pan without pulling the unit out? I had leakage coming from the front of the unit before it shut down and started beeping, so it must have overflowed?
I couldn't find a service manual for it, but did for a different model Viking which looks similar, and it shows putting the unit on its side to remove the base pan, but can I vacuum out the water without doing that, or does that not get down to the pan from the inside?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

JackJ

Premium Member
Thanks bigbuck and mojoredbeakster! Just to clarify, water wasn't flowing in when we weren't using it (to my knowledge), but during a cycle it seemed to leak/overflow. And the error code isn't one indicating a problem with the flow switch, but rather the moisture sensor.

Does the error indeed indicate a problem with the sensor/wiring/board, though, or merely that there's an issue with that part of the system? That is, would this error be occurring if the moisture sensor is doing its job correctly and indicating that there is water in the pan, and my task is to clear that out and figure out why there's water in the pan? Or does the 1 and 1 error lights indicate that the moisture sensor system is not functioning properly?

Thanks again!