Reading Service Diagnostics Cycle Results to fix Whirlpool Gold Dishwasher WDT720PADM0

breezyweasel

Model Number
WDT720PADM0
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a WDT720PADM0 in a rental property that the tenant complains is growing mold. Suspecting a vent or a heating element, I tried to run the diagnostics, but I haven't been successful at reading the results.

After talking with the tenant it sounded like they were only using the Normal cycle with no Heat Dry, but when I had them run a full Normal Cycle plus Heat Dry it wasn't very hot at the end of the cycle- there was no steam when the door was opened, and the temperature reading at the heating element (per an IR thermometer) was very cool- around 80F, so it seems as if the heating element is not coming on.

I invoke the diagnostics per the tech data sheet. All the LEDs on the panel light up as expected, but they don't go off after 5 seconds and report error history. They just stay on.

Part of the problem may be the fact that the dishwasher is installed flush with the countertop, so that I cannot read the display with the door closed. I can pull the dishwasher out if I really have to, but that will take some doing because flooring was installed with the dishwasher in place (I know. Really?) and the dishwasher foot is resting below the new flooring about 1/8". So, I need to get a tool in that tight spot to adjust the foot so there is enough room to lift up the dishwasher because currently there is very little clearance at the top of the dishwasher. Any tips on how to adjust that foot? I tried needlenose pliers with no success, but it looks like a small hex head may be the right tool. (Still not sure how to turn it even if I find the right head. Time to buy a flexible shaft?)

So, do I have to have the door closed to read the error cycles during the actual diagnostic cyles, instead of at the end? If so the answer is adjust the foot to be able to pull the dishwasher out.

If I can read the codes with the door open, how? I invoked diagnostics, closed the door and let it run through an entire diagnostics cycle, but when I open the door again the display is blank. I tried pressing the start button to cycle through thinking it would give me error codes, but the start button with the door open didn't seem to do anything.

I also had no success reading the codes by putting it into diagnostic cycle a 2nd time and then opening the door.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm mildly handy with most stuff, but I sometimes need hand holding with appliances. :confused:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, For the front legs to raise up, You will need a 3/16" hex head socket and yes a flexible shaft. Look at pages 14 and 18 here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/79deotqhnvr1jr3/Installation%20Instructions%20-%20WDT720PADM0.pdf?dl=0

Our other tech. here bigbuck brought to out attention to first disconnect the wire connector to your door vent and see if you can run the diagnostics properly, if so, then the problem is the door vent. But also see if you get an error code too, because you may have another part that is bad as well.

Here's the vent assembly for your model you can order if needed:
WPW10428211 Vent

Here's the instructions to get into the diagnostics mode:

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed. Let it run all the way through, takes about 25 minutes.

The CLEAN LED will flash the ERROR CODE in two parts. The CLEAN LED will first flash the function code. Then pause for two seconds, and then flash the problem code. It will repeat this three times unless advanced using the start key.

If there are no errors the LED will stay solid for five seconds.

Let us know what you find.

Jake