• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Reasonable price for AC/Heater replacement?

Normandy

Premium Member
My old (central) AC/heater is on its last legs, and a company has quoted me a price for removing the old system and installing a new condenser/coil/(gas)furnace, using Carrier equipment, 3.5 ton unit, 15 seer.

They're keeping and utilizing the current ductwork, piping, wiring, drains, gas line, etc., and there's already electrical breakers and little concrete slab outside for the condenser.

They're quoting me about $7400, which is allegedly after a $1600 discount for getting the work done in the off-season promotional timeframe. This is in the Houston area.

This seems high to me, any comments?

Last edited:

Maytag Blues

Premium Member
When I built my house I had an all electric package unit installed. These are easier to service than a split system since everything except the ducts are outside. I got a quote last year of $5000 to replace it with a 3.5 ton Goodman unit. I got a guy with a contractor license to let me buy one through him for $2000 and installed it myself. He made a couple of hundred on the deal for just handing my cash to the supplier. Talk about a markup!