• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RECALL KENMORE (GE) OVEN/MICROWAVE 911.478621100

Frustratedx100

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I discovered there is a recall on my Kenmore (GE) Oven/Microwave Combo unit after searching for parts online. The Microwave is said to overheat and cause fires. The recall originated in 2007.
I have called endlessly every consumer/repair/warranty associated with Sears, Kenmore, GE, etc. Everyone is passing the buck, I'm on hold for lifetimes, service appointments made and not honored.
This repair, without recall, is over $700. My microwave hasn't functioned in over a decade.
I have the recall info, photos of my serial number, everything.
Do I have any other recourse?

Frustratedx100

Premium Member
Dan O. said:
What's the CPSC recall number?

20210223_135124.jpg

20210223_135012.jpg 20210223_134935.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Just so you're aware of what's involved: That recall is only for repairing the microwave door switches, nothing else. Even if you had to pay for that service it shouldn't be anywhere near $700.

If there is an additional problem with the microwave, you'd still have to pay for that repair.

The other option is they'll give you $300 and you go buy a new Kenmore oven (specific models only!)... which I'm guessing would be more that $700 too, even with $300 off and not including the cost to install it.

LINK > CPSC - General Electric Recalls Microwave Combo Wall Ovens Due to Fire Hazard - Recall 08-110

The recall contact phone number has also changed. The new number is listed at the CPSC page I linked to above. You might get better service from it??

And lastly, you're at the mercy of their service. They have to be the ones that do it. Getting any appliance service can be tough right now.

JFYI

Dan O.

Last edited:

Frustratedx100

Premium Member
I was surprised with the lack of concern from the GE guy. He was dismissive and uninterested.
The repair people with Sears/A&E seemed to think the repair would include all parts necessary since the recall issue caused the failure of the entire unit.
Either way, I've spent months trying to acquire that which the recall promises to no avail.
It doesn't help Sears/Kenmore is in transition at present.
You can bet I will research customer service reputation on any new appliance I consider going forward.
Thanks for your response.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Frustratedx100 said:
Sears/A&E seemed to think the repair would include all parts necessary since the recall issue caused the failure of the entire unit.

Were parts burnt/melted?

Frustratedx100 said:
I will research customer service reputation on any new appliance I consider going forward.

That's a good idea however all manufacturers are suffering from lack of service people recently. Most of technicians here recommend products from Whirlpool under any of their brand names (see the following link).

LINK > Appliance411: The Purchase: Who makes what?

Good luck!

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Hopefully the recall will cover everything that's damaged and those parts are still available. I guess you'll just have to wait for service.

Good luck!

Dan O.