recommend brand for a laundry center

007noob

Premium Member
Hey All,

I have this whirlpool laundry center from the late 80s - the model number is LTE5243DQ3. It does have a problem where the tub is off center and I haven't got that fixed yet. So I'm thinking of just getting it replaced.

I'm eyeing the following unit at Home Depot main due to price for the size: Laundry Center 3.8 cu. ft. Washer and 5.9 cu. ft. 240-Volt Vented Electric Dryer - for $1349.
There are other ones in the similar category but smaller washer / dryer volume which is $50 less. I don't understand why anyone would go for the smaller for just 50 bucks.

Is there any particular brand / model that is recommendable or to stay away from?

Also I keep hearing "they don't make 'em like they used too" especially for appliances like these. Should I just get the existing one fixed?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
All us techs here recommend Maytag, Whirlpool, and Amana for the best reliability and longevity.

GE has had some issues with theirs. Motor problems mainly.

Jake

007noob

Premium Member
Among the Whirlpools what is the real difference between Model# WET4027HW and Model# WETLV27HW. When I do a compare on the site

Cost difference: 50$
Wash Cycles: Bulky Items,Colors,Delicates,Drain & Spin,Extra Rinse,Heavy Duty,Normal,Speed
vs Wash Bulky Items,Colors,Drain & Spin,Heavy Duty,Normal,Speed Wash

Washer Tub/Drum Material: Stainless Steel Drum
vs Powder-Coated Steel Drum

Weight difference: 1 lb

What the heck is a Powder-Coated Steel Drum ?
Any good reason to choose one over other?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Those are good questions, Hopefully a Whirlpool Rep. will come here and answer those for you.

But either is fine to get.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.