FIXED Relay questions (Kenmore Coldspot 106.59502990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

to0ntown

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
First of all I would like to thank you all for providing such an insightful place for appliance related problems.

My SxS refrigerator (Kenmore Coldspot 106.59502990) just went kapoot on me. I've scoured the forums, visited all posted links, tried everything I could and I have come to the conclusion that the relay for my compressor is bad. I'm pretty sure its a bad relay because at times the freezer will work, but not for very long or very often. It is also clicking a lot. Now here are my questions:

1) Where could I find a replacement relay? I've searched and came up with part#8201799. The only description provided is "START-DEV" so I am not sure if that is the right one. Are there any off-brand relay that will work? Any other places with cheaper prices?

2) I've located the relay in the bottom rear of my refrigerator. Does it come out pretty easy? I've tried tugging on it a little to see if I could get it out, but stopped because I didn't want to break anything. I'm pretty friendly with fixing things so it shouldnt be that much of a problem; I just don't have much experience with refrigerators.

Luckily I have another fridge in my garage so my food will not go bad. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

to0ntown

Premium Member
The relay arrived today and I installed it right away. It was easier than I thought! Just pull out the old one, and plug in the new one (and remember where the wires go). My fridge started cooling immediately upon start and in under an hour I had ice once again. Thanks for all the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Great job to0ntown!:)

Glad you got it fixed,:)

Thanks for the update,

Jake

bgreen776

Premium Member
I think the fridge is ok, but the freezer isnt working at all. The wife said she heard clicking noises coming from the "fridge" last night, so from what im reading this is my problem. :confused:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help bgreen!:)

Jake

techsince76

Premium Member
don't use a generic brand. it is a start device or called relay -overload. I see a lot of burned out compressors due to not having the correct factory part installed. alot of clicking is the overload on the compressor be sure if there is a fan motor neer the compressor that it IS RUNNING to cool the compressor,it will give you the same sympyoms ,or the condenser coils if they are dirty or unable to disapate heat.....good luck.

155Shade

Premium Member
First off thanks a million to the techs for all the helpful info. This site is now a favorite bookmark!

Question is, what do you do if the relay is diagnosed as bad with all the telltale symptoms, you replace it, and still no dice? Still clicks and compressor still isn't running.

Background is... my Kenmore s/s 106.50262993 got warm and before I found this site I just called the repair guy. He came and, later I found, installed a Supco 3 in 1.

This worked for about 2 months. Unit is warm again and I've installed the OEM start device kit (#8201799) but no dice. Is the conclusion that the compressor is burned out? Should I just eat out 100% of the time from now on?? :(

Thanks,

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I never recommend those 3-1 start kits, some techs. do, But I don't.

You should first always ohm out your old relay before changing it.

If the compressor won't start with a good relay, that means your compressor is locked-up, and you would have to change the compressor, which is almost the price of a new refrigerator.

So, I would assume your compressor is bad.

Jake

155Shade

Premium Member
Thanks Jake - truth hurts!

Just to be sure, how exactly do I test the relay with my multimeter? At what points, and what levels am I looking for?:confused:

[starting to get hungry...:(]

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ohm out 5 and 6 on the relay, then ohm out A and B on the overload.

Jake

anthonyd73111

Premium Member
Start relay failure/hard on compressor?

Hello,

I have a SxS Kenmore 106.xxx 4 1/2 old. Compressor statred cycling overload protection. I started sometime in the night, may have gone for 6- 12 hrs. Compressor was warm/hot to touch (160 degress). Replaced the solid state start relay/ overload module and all is good again.

My question is as follows: Does this overload state and hot compressor shorten the life old compressor or actually burn them up? I'm sure you have seen these sit in overload for day's or even longer.

Thank you

Anthony

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No it shouldn't shorten the life of the compressor.

The main thing that makes them fail is heat build-up due to a clogged condenser, always check and clean your condenser every 6-12 months, especially if you have pets in your house.:)

Jake

anthonyd73111

Premium Member
Cleaning condensor coils

Good to hear that compressor doesn't suffer from start relay failure. ;)

Good point about cleaning condensor coil, I clean mine a least once a year. I found placing a vacuum suction hose near the coil and then using 100 psi compressed air blasts gets it almost like new. Of course turn off frig. first, so fan doesn't blow dust back into room. :eek: Those coils are impossible to clean with coil brush.

Thanks again,

Good site!

Anthony

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks.:)

Jake

lethald

Premium Member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, just put the white overload on the 1 single compressor prong first, then the brown relay on the 2 prongs.

The black cover box, is just a cover, it snaps on. That little black v-shaped piece is not necessary.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.