FIXED Relay questions (Kenmore Coldspot 106.59502990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lethald

Premium Member
Thanks! Got it put together and seems like it is up and running now. Had to put a bigger female on and that seemed to slow me down b/c i guess the first time I didn't crimp it as good as I thought b/c it never came on after 10 minutes. So after recrimping, it came on after a minute or so.

Well, this is awesome b/c I picked this fridge off the street for free! some guy put a sign out on it that said it needed a new compressor. And all it needed was this $30 part! :D :D :D

The only other question I had is that when I unplugged it, I noticed the compressor shook and bounced quite a bit. Is this normal? Or should I look into tightening the bolts? it has bushings so it isnt load or anything, I just thought that might be odd.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the compressor bangs load when it shuts off, then you have a bad compressor.

I wouldn't worry about the shaking of the compressor when it shuts off.:)

Jake

Joe Jackson

Premium Member
I believe that my refrigerator is having this same issue with the start device but I just wanted to make sure. The relay started clicking yesterday. I took off the start device and could hear a lot of little pieces loose inside. I took it apart and found the small disc (some kind of ceramic material I think) that sits in between two of the connectors was broken in pieces. The plastic around one of the connectors was burnt as well. Is this the failure mode for this part or is this a sign of something else? Any chances there's a temporary fix until I can get a new part? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Joe Jackson said:
I believe that my refrigerator is having this same issue with the start device but I just wanted to make sure. The relay started clicking yesterday. I took off the start device and could hear a lot of little pieces loose inside. I took it apart and found the small disc (some kind of ceramic material I think) that sits in between two of the connectors was broken in pieces. The plastic around one of the connectors was burnt as well. Is this the failure mode for this part or is this a sign of something else? Any chances there's a temporary fix until I can get a new part? Thanks.
Whats the make and model# of your refrigerator?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Yes model uses this kind of start relay.

There isn't a way to make it work till the new one arrives, but you can get about 10-15 pounds of dry ice to put into your refrigerator till you get the part.

They sell dry ice at most grocery stores.

Jake

Joe Jackson

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. I have 20 lbs. of ice in the fridge for now. It looks like I can get the part locally tomorrow so I'll be in good shape in another day.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Joe.:)

Jake

faltuka

Premium Member
Kenmore

First of all - hats off to the guys (especially Jake) participating in the forum for all the help provided. I would encourage everyone reading the forums to donate and help expand the information on this site!

My Kenmore Cold Spot model is 106.59502992 (Whirlpool). Ice in freezer started melting and I can hear pair of clicks every 10 min. Clicks within the pair are 1-2 mins apart. On opening the back of the ref, I can see a small spark in the relay every time there is a click. Compressor is warm (can touch but not for long) but no vibrations etc. I read through this and other posts. I am not able to remove the relay.

1. Should I pry at point A or B? - see attached picture). I don't want to break something. Is there any clip etc I need to remove or is removing the relay similar to pulling a plug out of the wall socket (but with more force?). Don't want to damage the compressor.

2. I read about the 3-part kit. Is this a direct replacement for what I have right now?
Start Relay 8201799 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

3. Also, what is the probability that the compressor goes bad on the 6 year old ref? I did see some dust on the coils below the ref and plan to clean those up.

faltuka

Premium Member
connections

I just received the part and started installing it. Had a quick question - I am assuming (see attached picture)

White wire goes to Pin A (relay)

Blue wire goes to Pin B (relay)

Red wire goes to C (through overload)

BTW, there is a "N" imprinted on the side of the hole in the black relay that I just got. This hole will attach to Pin A.

Does it matter if White and Blue are interchanged? For regular electric circuit, we can put the 2 pins either way. But for compressor + relay combination, I just want to make sure that the same is true.

faltuka

Premium Member
Can white and blue wires be interchanged?

In case I wasn't clear in the previous post, can the white and blue wires be interchanged and go on reverse pins on the compressor?

faltuka

Premium Member
Found the right connections

On carefully looking through instructions, I could see a figure on the first page that explains the right wiring connections. The connections in my first posts are correct and cannot be reversed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that post#36 is correct.:)

So did everything go well, getting cold?

Jake

faltuka

Premium Member
testing - everything good so far

Everything is good so far. The compressor shuts off after some time (2-3 hrs of cooling). So, the relay is working. :) I opened up the front and used my Dyson attachment to clean it up - lots of dirt!

I noticed something else. There are a couple cracks on the inner wall of the freezer - about 2 and 4 inches long. I have put regular packing tape to prevent leakage for now. Is there a way to repair this?

BTW, I can't believe I am seeing these problems on a 5 year old ref. This is a Kenmore (made by Whirlpool). I thought Whirlpool was one of the best brands out there :-(.

westside

A Start Device Kit (PN 8201786) can be used to fix relay problems

Thanks all. The first page of this thread helped immensely.

I don't have much to add. My kenmore 106.51259104 lost it's cooling and I've now repaired it as described here previously.

My wife discovered it in the afternoon yesterday, late friday. Based on how defrosted things were I'm guessing no refridgeration for about 8-12 hours.

All lights and interior fans were working. There was an occasional click from the back of the unit ever couple minutes. This morning I found this thread and pulled the relay out. It was fried.

Anyhow, skipping the details of spending all day finding it, I got a hold of Start Device Kit (PN 8201786) produced by Whirlpool. This kit supports both/only EGY80 and EGY90 compressors. The place I found the part is a regional parts distributor. If you're looking for one in your area go right to the source,skip places listed as apliance parts/repair places. They just order them. Nearly every place I called that was listed as apliance parts/repair place told me from 3-4 days to 2 weeks to order the part.

I did pay $52 for this kit but did get my fridge working on a saturday by 1pm :)

Thanks again, if in denver pm me and I'll send you the name of the parts distributor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

quahtrader

Premium Member
Hi,

I have a Kenmore SxS 106.52212100 - with a burned up start relay.

I purchased a new relay (actually contained 2 different relay/overloads and 2 additional relays)

I removed the (very) burnt start relay - but I notice that one of the three "prongs" on the compressor is now "flat" on the end instead of rounded. I dont see how the new start relay will push onto this prong. I assume that it melted in some way. How would you suggest I fix this - or is it fixable?

Thank you very much for any assistance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.