FIXED Relay questions (Kenmore Coldspot 106.59502990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you have a file or sand paper, try to file or sand the flat spot so that it becomes round again.

Jake

quahtrader

Premium Member
If you have a file or sand paper, try to file or sand the flat spot so that it becomes round again.

Jake
That's what I was planning to do - but just wanted to make sure that the melting of the pin was not an indicator of a bigger problem other than the arcing of the bad relay.

I'm going to try to file it or grind it with my dremel. I'll post the results.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes, please let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

quahtrader

Premium Member
Wow. I ended up needing to grind with the dremel - The entire contact from the relay was welded onto the pin. Had to unmount the compressor and pull it out so I could get at the pin with the grinder.

Just powered up the fridge and it seems to be working. Thanks for the help - and this thread. Tip forthcoming!

Thanks!

quahtrader

Premium Member
I may have spoke too soon. It was running for a while, cooling. Now it stopped and doesn't seem to want to come on again. Lights are working. Fans and compressor are not. Any ideas? Thanks.

quahtrader

Premium Member
note: I can head a quiet "rumbling" sound coming from within the control panel - sounds like a timer running or something like that. Otherwise, everything else is off - except the lights.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It went into a defrost cycle, that sound you were hearing in your refrigerator section was your defrost timer, 30 minutes is about the normal time for the defrost cycle.

Should be fine now.:)

Jake

russellD

Premium Member
I have had the same issues as above with the relay burning out. The repair guy replaced the relay about 2 months ago and it burned out again. I do not think he used the factory part because the relay was white and installed a black on that looks different. I called an appl. store and they told me to go pick up a 3 in 1, hard start and I would be good to go. I read here not to use them, why not ? Will they cause damage?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The 3 in 1 hard start kits are not really meant for these newer compressors, they worked fine on the older ones in the 70's and 80's, but since the 90's they have changed the design and refrigerant on the compressors to run more efficiently, and the 3 in 1 kits dint work out.

I've changed hundreds of those start relays in the last 10 years and never had to go back to change the same one out again.

Did the tech. write down the part# of that start relay on your receipt?

Did he clean your condenser underneath your refrigerator?

Jake

russellD

Premium Member
The tech did nothing but change the relay and tell me good luck. When I pulled the relay off (the one he installed), it is not factory. One of the three prongs on the compresser (which the relay attaches to), is now burned down to almost nothing. It either burned or broke but either way, it is almost gone.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if one of the compressor prongs is in bad shape like that, then the compressor will need to be changed by Sears, all compressors are under a full 5 yr. parts and labor warranty.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then it would cost about $400-$600 for parts and labor to have a new compressor installed. Sorry the news couldn't be better.

Jake

Karin

Premium Member
Kenmore Coldspot -- compressor and relay -- and Sears Service

Hi Jake et al,

I just came across this string and think you might be able to help me -- :)

In 2000, I bought a Kenmore Coldspot SxS (59502993) with water and ice maker. I didn't do much research at the time because I am a devotee of Kenmore products and have dishwasher, washer, dryer, and stove already. In July 2005, the fridge stopped cooling and the Sears repair technician fixed the fridge noting that the relay was bad. Since I called Sears, my assumption was that a Kenmore part would be used to replace the bad part. I did not watch the repairman do his work, but I figured he did what needed to be done since the fridge worked when he left.

Fast forward to this week (October 2007), the fridge died again. :( Besides the drama of water leaking through to the basement and all the food going bad, we have now had a little drama with Sears. A repair technician came to evaluate the repair needs, and he told me that the compressor was bad. Being concerned that I have never had a broken fridge (they have always lasted what seems like forever), I asked why it went bad. He said that they just do. Then he went on to tell me that the guy who fixed the relay issue in 2005 did not replace the relay, instead he cut out the relay, split the wires and installed a hard start 3 in 1 part. I found this disturbing since I was under the impression he was replacing the part not "jimmying" my fridge to put in the other item. I asked the technician if this could be why the compressor was bad and he said maybe but that Sears would say that it is unrelated since the fridge ran for another 2 years. :mad:

I would like to hear everyone's opinion about:

1) whether using the wrong part could be why the compressor went bad

2) what, if anything, I can say to Sears so that they cover the cost of the repair

3) anything else that might be helpful to consider.

Many thanks!

Karin

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that tech. never should of put that 3 in 1 hard start kit on it while it was under the 5 yr. compressor/sealed system warranty.

Don't know what can be done about it now though, except go to the Sears store were you bought it and talk to the store manager and explain it to him/her and hopefully they can give you compensation on your refrigerator.

Or give you a new refrigerator at cost.

Jake

Karin

Premium Member
Good news...thanks to Jake's recommendation, I did approach the appliance manager and later the store manager -- and while Sears did feel that the service provided earlier was correct -- the store manager found a middle ground with me and I was able to buy a new fridge for 50% of the sticker price -- which is about the same cost to get the compressor fixed. It was a win-win in the end. A real case of the squeeky wheel and persistence and finding the right person to help.

Thanks again Jake!:)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job Karin.:)

Yes, if your persistent and nice to them, they are likely to help anyone like that.

If you go in with all guns blazing, and yell and scream and are very rude, its likely they won't help you.

Lots of people forget its not their fault an appliance broke, things just break, its no ones fault.

Jake

jpnk

Premium Member
White Plastic box on the Compressor burned out

Jake,

The small white plastic box on the Compressor burned out. I see 2 sets of wires connected to it. 1. Red & White and 2. White & Blue wires. I am not sure if it is the Relay/Overload/Starting device. Please advice as to which one I should buy.

Brand: Kenmore Coldspot SxS
Model Number: 106.52254100

Regards,
JP

Status
Not open for further replies.