FIXED Relay questions (Kenmore Coldspot 106.59502990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpnk

Premium Member
Just curious

Jake,

Thanks for your quick reply.

The burned out one that I pulled off of the comressor was one single piece part. However this kit conists of multiple parts? Just curious.

Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its been redesigned, don't worry, the instructions will tell you what to do.:)

Jake

jpnk

Premium Member
Need Help installing Relay/Overload

Jake,

Received the Kit.

As per the instructions, I mounted the PTC Relay and the Overload Proctector to the Compressor. Connected the Red wire to the Overload, and Blue wire to the right side Terminal of the PTC Relay.

However I could not connect the White wire to the other Terminal of the PTC Relay. The Connector on the White wire is smaller than the Terminal (by atleast 1/3rd). Also the plastic tip covering the connector has melted exposing the metal tip. I have to replace it. Can I get the replacement connectors?

Also, there is a White Jumper wire that came with the Kit. I don't know how to install. The instructions state, it is installed between the old harness??? and the PTC Relay.

Please advise.

Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, just go to your local hardware store and you can get the smaller connector to mount on that smaller terminal on the PTC Relay.

Also, there is a White Jumper wire that came with the Kit. I don't know how to install. The instructions state, it is installed between the old harness??? and the PTC Relay.
It doesn't say what terminal to connector it too? Does it have a small or normal connector on the ends?

Jake

jpnk

Premium Member
Jake,

The instructions were a bit confusing. I will scan it and post it on this forum.

It doesn't say what terminal to connector it too?
It says old harness. But, I don't know which one it is.

Does it have a small or normal connector on the ends?
Please see the attached picture. It has the Female connector (White Jumper?) on one end and Male connector (the metal tip) on the other end.

It just clicked to me while I was driving on the Highway this morning. The Female connector goes on the PTC Relay and I think the Metal tip would plug into the connector on the White wire (from the capacitor). I guess the instructions were referring to the White wire as the old harness.

I have to find the plastic tip to cover the connecter. Can I just tape it if I can't find it in the hardware store?

Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, plastic tip to cover the connector? I thought you needed a smaller terminal to connect to the smaller terminal on the Relay?

Can you take a photo of that too and post it JP?

Jake

jpnk

Premium Member
Jake,

I thought you needed a smaller terminal to connect to the smaller terminal on the Relay?
Both the Terminals on the PTC Relay are of the same size.

The connector on the Blue wire fits well on one of the PTC Relay Terminal.

The connector on the White wire(s) is smaller then the Terminal on the PTC Relay. The plastic tip on White wire has melted exposing the metal part.

The White Jumper wire that came with the Kit fits well on the PTC Relay's second Terminal. The other end of the wire has a metal tip that looks smaller and I think it would fit into the old White wire connector.

My only concern is the melted connector tip on the old White wire. Can it be just taped or do I have to replace the plastic tip.

Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh, ok, No you don't have to worry about that plastic that goes over the end of the terminal. You can just use electrical tape if you want.:)

Jake

jpnk

Premium Member
Thanks a lot

Jake,

That's exactly what I did last night. I just taped the connector tip. The refrigerator is up and running.:)

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent JP, good job.:)

Jake

nessie309

Premium Member
Hi guys - I just replaced the relay on my Kenmore side by side and got the unit at the Sears Repair store for $55.00 - had to drive 10 mile though to pick it up!!!
It was easy to fit and the fridge and freezer seem to be working great. What I have found though is that the framework around the doors on the front of the refridgerator have been very warm - Is this normal or is there another problem?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats normal while its cooling down inside, but check to make sure your condenser fan blade/motor is turning, it sits next to your compressor.

Jake

tiny

Premium Member
I have a Kenmore 106.59422801 that is not cooling correctly. When the comp. starts it runs for 3 to 5 seconds and then stops. Can you recommend the proper parts to replace for the start and overload relay? I also hear clicking just before it starts and after it stops.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have a Kenmore 106.59422801 that is not cooling correctly. When the comp. starts it runs for 3 to 5 seconds and then stops. Can you recommend the proper parts to replace for the start and overload relay? I also hear clicking just before it starts and after it stops.
Does your look like this one:

Jake

tiny

Premium Member
I haven't pulled it yet. The parts schematic gives the part numbers of
W10189190 and W10197427. Trying to find the parts to repair with. If they are unavailable I will schedule a warranty repair visit.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, thats what I saw as well, I have no idea why they list 2 for your model, thats highly unusual.

Let us know what you find. I'm very curious.

Jake

tiny

Premium Member
One is a relay the other is an overload. I went to the sears store where I bought the unit and showed my displeasure at waiting for a week and a half for a service call. The store manager made some calls and the repairman will be here tomorrow at 2pm. I'll let you know what he finds.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

tiny

Premium Member
Repairman never showed. I have some pics of the part. I have installed an aftermarket part to get the unit running. I need to order a factory part to properly repair this. It is the W10189190. The other number is possibly an alternative part number?

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I need to order a factory part to properly repair this. It is the W10189190. The other number is possibly an alternative part number?
Like I said this is the first I've seen 2 different part#'s for that relay device, so your guess is as good as mine.

Are you getting it locally in your town?

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.