FIXED Relay questions (Kenmore Coldspot 106.59502990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Keep us posted.

Jake

jhwallanse

Premium Member
Fridge working Sometimes

I too have a Kenmore refrigerator,(side by side 106.9555980) with a suspected replay problem. It doesn't always start up & as a result it cools down. Yesterday, it was too warm so I did some investigation without success. The compressor was hot & not starting. It seems that sometimes the compressor fails to start & the thermal overload kicks off. Sometimes, it starts correctly. Based on what I read here, I checked the relay with a ohm meter, both terminals are closed (not sure how it disconnects). The capacitor seems good, an ohm meter across the terminals jumps to infinity & the immediately drops to zero. Reversing the leads gets the same result. The coils were really dirty, I've cleaned those. If you just plug in the fridge, it'll start up but if you play with the thermostat up & down, it kicks off with the thermal overload & won't restart until it cools off. I suspect it's not always starting up. Once it starts, the compressor will run until it reaches the set temperature. Can the relay be at fault here or is the compressor going bad ? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I too have a Kenmore refrigerator,(side by side 106.9555980) with a suspected replay problem. It doesn't always start up & as a result it cools down. Yesterday, it was too warm so I did some investigation without success. The compressor was hot & not starting. It seems that sometimes the compressor fails to start & the thermal overload kicks off. Sometimes, it starts correctly. Based on what I read here, I checked the relay with a ohm meter, both terminals are closed (not sure how it disconnects). The capacitor seems good, an ohm meter across the terminals jumps to infinity & the immediately drops to zero. Reversing the leads gets the same result. The coils were really dirty, I've cleaned those. If you just plug in the fridge, it'll start up but if you play with the thermostat up & down, it kicks off with the thermal overload & won't restart until it cools off. I suspect it's not always starting up. Once it starts, the compressor will run until it reaches the set temperature. Can the relay be at fault here or is the compressor going bad ? Thanks.
On your model# it shows that compressor start relay has been discontinued, they have a relay/overload kit for yours here: Relay and Overload Kit 819100

You took the relay and overload off? Then ohmed it? Shake that relay, if it rattles inside its going bad.

Jake

jhwallanse

Premium Member
So far I haven't changed any parts, just cleaned & checked. I've monitored the temperature in the fridge & it seems to be working. The temperature has quite a bit of variation though, goes from 34.9 to 45, which kinda tells me its not always starting. Compressor seems really hot to the touch. The relay does NOT rattle. How does this thing work? An ohm meter across the terminals shows continuity across all terminals with it off & in my hand (constantly closed). Is there another way to check this ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, if it shows continuity(closed) then its working fine, its possibly your compressor starting to go out.

Is the condenser fan running? its near the compressor.

Jake

dirtyec

My Kenmore Side by Side Compressor Quit working. The tech sheet shows that the fridge is model # 596.58642891. Anyway, the condenser fan is running, but the compressor never turns on.

I replaced the relay (part # WP10097202), but it did not help.

When I plug the fridge into the outlet, the condenser fan starts immediately. I can hear the relay clicking, but the compressor never starts. What is the next check I need to do? Can I check to see if the compressor is bad? Thanks in advance. By the way, you never know how good you have it until you go without a fridge for a few days. It's like camping.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your compressor is definitely locked-up, you will need it replaced, You should have a 5 yr. parts/labor warranty on it from Sears.

Contact Sears to come out.

Jake

jhwallanse

Premium Member
All right, I'm still fighting this beast. Posted two weeks ago:

I've since found out that compressors won't start right back up if you fiddle with the thermostat, the pressure needs to go back down. So. I guess what I was observing wasn't correct. Anyway:

It's kinda been working with some temperature variations I didn't like but nothing I couldn't live with. Now, it seems to be getting worse & it's not staying as cold as it should be all the time. For quite a while, it stayed right around 36 - 39 degrees but has started varying again warming up to 49 degrees sometimes with the freezer following along. More observations have found that when the compressor first turns on, one of the copper lines is very cold to the touch, then after about a minute it warms up and the compressor continues to run for quite a while. It may or may not reach 36 - 39 before shutting off. The relay does NOT rattle & shows a closed condition with an ohm meter. An ohm meter across the capacitor jumps to infinity & quickly drops back & the compressor will not start without the capacitor but will with the capacitor in place. The overload is NOT tripped. Do these observations indicate that the capacitor, relay & overload are all good ?
What is causing the cold line at start up with it then warming up ? Low Freon , bad compressor ? Every observed start up, (unplug wait a few minutes, start up) has resulted in the compressor starting & the line becoming cold, then warming up after a long minute. I hate to shotgun approach this with new parts if this is an indicator of a worn out compressor. Thanks.

jhwallanse

Premium Member
Additional info : I was moving some food out to another fridge & noticed that the post in between the freezer & fridge part (it's a side by side) where the door closes is very warm to the touch yet the compressor is running & cool air is being directed into the freezer & refrigerator areas. The wall between the two is cold, just the face of this wall is warm ????

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You didn't answer my last question I posted:

Is the condenser fan running? its near the compressor.

A non running condenser fan will cause all these issues.

Jake

jhwallanse

Premium Member
Condenser fan (approx 6" fan pointed at the compressor) is running. It appears to be a "puller" fan as it's pulling air away from the compressor not towards it. Hope that's correct. The evaporator fan is also running & it feels like cold air is being blown into the freezer. One of the copper coils coming from the compressor feels hot & the other feels cool, certainly not cold like when it first starts. Anyway, it's been running around 3.5 hours since the last start up. The fridge temp has dropped from 48 to 40 & the post between the doors is no longer warm. Ideas ?

jhwallanse

Premium Member
OK, she just quit again. I twisted the thermostat down to the coldest setting to see if it was down to temp, nothing.
I quick pulled out the overload & checked it & it was closed but I don't know if I was quick enough & it cooled down & reset. Put it back together & it started up with a very cold copper line for 1 minute & cold air going to the freezer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like your cold control thermostat is starting to go out.

Unplug your refrigerator first before installing the new one.

Here's the cold control thermostat for your model you can order:
Manufacturer Number 2198202

Your cold control thermostat is #9 here in this diagram:

Pull the #26 & #27 knobs off first.
#25 trim just un-snaps
Don't worry you won't break it. Get a flathead screwdriver and just pry at a corner then it all will un-snap, and the screws are in front and underneath it.

Remove the 2 #3 screws in front and 2 underneath it.

Jake

jhwallanse

Premium Member
Boy, I'm getting a little more familiar with this than I wanted to be but I may be getting to the bottom of it. Anyway, I might have been misleading you with my dialog on my observations. I've read many, many posts on this forum & learned a lot, thank you. The latest is that I have observed the evaporator fan is stalling (not starting). More than once with the cover off, I've seen the fan hum & stutter before starting up. In fact the fan was not running when I started to take the cover off. It did start up before I completely removed the cover. Yesterday, the compressor seemed to be running for quite a while (hours ?) with no air being blown from the vent in the freezer. Should this fan start immediately when the compressor gets juice ? Or does it wait until the compressor is running completely ? I guess I'm still trying to figure out if my compressor is really starting or the fan is the problem. What is the procedure to remove this fan ? The brackets & wire look pretty simple but the impeller remains on it. Should the impeller just slide off ? I'd like to remove the fan & clean & lube it up to see if anything changes. This sound like a good idea ? I've inspected the coils with the cover off & there's a thin layer of frost which based on the posts I've read is good. I checked my other refrigerator & the compressor lines feel the same on start up (extremely cold from one for about a minute, then warming up to cool). Sometimes, this thing has worked pretty much perfectly for days at a time before acting up. Would that rule out a bad compressor ? Also, I noticed that there appears to be a 30 day policy of returning parts that don't fix the problem if you order them from one of your links ? That's huge ! Is that correct ? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, your freezer fan should start when the compressor does. Yes, the fan blade should just pull off the motor shaft.

From what your now saying, it sounds like you have a bad freezer(evaporator) fan motor.

Its best to replace it, as lubing it may work for awhile, but it will start acting up again.

Yes, 365 day full refund return on all parts you order from our links/banners if it doesn't fix the problem.:)

Here's the evaporator fan motor for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor 4389144

Jake

jarreola

Start Relay

What a great site. I have a Kenmore refrigerator model # 106.73184302 that has a bad start relay. Where can I find the right kit to replace it? Thank you so much.

noncomjd

Premium Member
Hello all. I have a Kenmore side by side 106.59592990.

I have the same problem as those described in here and in other similar threads. I just wanted to verify the part(s) i need.

I was going to order part 8201799 (listed as Part 15 and 16) is this correct?

I have seen in some posts where it appears that part 4387835 (item 13 or 13A) was suggested. Why the difference?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, #15 & #16 are the same part numbers, just order 1, you don't need 2.

You can order it here, much less expensive:
Manufacturer's Number: 8201799

Jake

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.