Reliable Fridge Make? IS there such a thing any more?

Kendall

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
-major brand-
Looking for the most reliable...

36"W
French Door
Stainless
Standard Depth
Reasonably quiet

Ice maker - Either a dispenser in the fridge door or a bucket in the freezer drawer. Almost prefer the latter

Price - Under 2 Grand on sale (so say up to $2,500 full retail)

I've done quite a bit of research, but I've also come across conflicting data. Are there certain makes I should steer clear of more than others? Are there any that stand out as more reliable than others?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We techs here all recommend Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Amana.

Stay away from LG, Samsung, GE, Frigidaire.

Jake

Kendall

Premium Member
OK, so all 4 Whirlpool products.

Your reply jives with the local scuttlebutt as well.

I've got my eye on a couple of Whirlpools. I'd go for the Maytag with the added compressor part warranty, but it doesn't have a water filter.

Speaking of which...

Is it a certainty that, if the fridge has an interior water dispenser and water filter, that the ice maker is also filtered? This is kind of a big one for us.

I'm looking at these two...

https://www.whirlpool.com/compare.WRF535SWHZ.WRFA35SWHZ.html

Kendall

Premium Member
OK, I went with the WRF535SWHZ. Sounds like it's pretty popular. You may recognize it.

Upon inspection, I didn't like the square handles of the RFA35SWHZ. I thought from the photos that they were the same as the tubular bars of the Maytag, but no. Glad I was able to man handle one in the showroom. In fact, I was able to check out the back of the unit to verify that the water to the ice maker was run through the filter first. Good! We're on city water.

Bought it from our family's old standby mom and pop store where I'm confident we'll get the best service should we need it (odds are.) I didn't need to pull the builder's discount card because he price-matched Home Depot's sale price, which put me at $120 better! I would've met him in the middle just for the mom and pop aspect, but he went for it so who was I to argue.

Got their extended 5 year warranty for $189. He said to call them for everything for the full 5 years and they'll handle the warranty claim work. Can't beat that!

I had found quite a number of reports of freezing in the fridge near the upper left ice maker in Whirlpool models of that type. I imagine the units with the ice maker in the door are better in that regard, but I had already moved on from the dispenser idea by the time I found those models. We liked the clean look with no exterior dispenser. We already have a filtered water fixture at the sink where the soap dispenser used to be and the wife would rather not have another area to wipe down every day. And we had a bottom freezer ice maker years ago and liked it just fine. I was a bartender in my college days. I prefer to use my pro ice shovel.

Then there's the added bonus of fewer gadgets to break.

The only thing I think I'll miss is a door ajar chime, but the doors seem to close pretty well on their own. We had to be door aware with our last fridge, so I expect we'll be OK.

Thanks for the help!

https://www.whirlpool.com/kitchen/refrigeration/refrigerators/french-door/p.36-inch-wide-french-door-refrigerator-with-water-dispenser-25-cu.-ft.wrf535swhz.html

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that's a good one.

Jake