Removing tub assembly

manof2words

Premium Member
HI, I have a Maytag Performa washer model # PAV2300AWW and it is leaking from the base of the plastic tub (center-right side). I am trying to remove the tub assembly with a spanner wrench. I was turning counter-clockwise, at first is was not moving but now the whole shaft and everything is going around in a circle and I can't get any torque on the assembly to unscrew.
What did I do wrong? Did I destroy the brake? Please Help!

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
find a flat spot on the gearcase and clamp a vise grip to it. when the gearcase spins around, it will hit the metal support and stop the gearcase from turning. I wish you luck on that repair, do not attempt to remove the brake unless you have the specialty tool for it (six 5/16" screws on base of unit under main drive pulley). If you do, you could be seriously injured or killed. If your leak is from the center tub seal and bearing, I'd call in a professional. There are a lot of things that can be wrong with those units that the untrained eye wouldn't notice. The center bearing and seal are covered for 5 years on the parts as far as I know. The outer tub has a 10 year if not longer.