Replace a Thermostat Switch for Hamilton Beach Toaster

Modify_inc

Premium Member
Model Number: 31507R

Hello, All

I have a Hamilton Beach Toaster, model# 31507R. The thermostat switch (the temperature control knob) went bad, but Hamilton does not sale this part. I have all the info from the part I removed, but not sure where I can find a replacement or something similar that will work. Google search keeps bringing up links for China companies, but they require a minimum purchase of 2000+ units. I hope someone here may have a suggestion or know of a similar part that would suffice.

I have a picture, and below are the details I deciphered from the part itself if it helps.

2018-09-21 14.42.08.jpg 2018-09-21 14.41.21.jpg

Part Description:
XWX-WK
AC125v 15A
WK-03
AC250v 12A
Has a triangle and the word TUX under the triangle
Left bracket says 123
Over the very top are 3 letters spaced way apart: Y W S

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the thing, the numbers are either lot numbers or an ID number for the switch manufacturer and the voltage tolerances. All the service techs here repair major home appliances and a toaster oven doesn't qualify. I have no doubt every tech has repaired their own toaster oven, blender, food processor, etc; it's not an appliance we would have any sort of information or wiring diagram on. There are literally thousands of similar switches. Is it a rheostat or potentiometer? A rheostat is simply a variable resistance used to control power to a load. A potentiometer is a three-terminal resistor with a sliding or rotating contact that forms an adjustable voltage divider. Both are available at any of the home centers or Walmart but you'll need to know the resistance value. Now, here's the other thing and probably the most important; The time you spend looking up the part and searching for a replacement, plus the gas going to and from the store to purchase the part, plus the labor to install the part is equal to three or four brand new toaster ovens. I see them online for like $10.

Modify_inc

Premium Member
This thread can be closed if need be, I purchased a new toaster oven and threw the other away. I would close it, but I didn't see where I could close it myself.