• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Replaced Main Controller Board in GSH22JSTESS and now refrigerator is freezing fresh food

humanpowered

Premium Member
Model Number
GSH22JSTESS
Brand
GE
Hi,

Would appreciate some insight.

I have a GSH22JSTESS refrigerator, S/N: SM210979.

Recently, it stopped cooling/freezing.

Lights were working.

I was able to hear a relay clicking, but nothing would engage - even after unplugging and waiting up to 30 minutes.

So I ordered a replacement board, WR55X10942 - which was recommended by several online retailers.

After replacing the board, the refrigerator turned on and everything works...

except that now the refrigerator side is too cold - freezing just about everything.

On the instructions, there is mention of certain models (based on serial number) needing the wire coming into pin 2 on the J1 connector cut.

Since my serial number doesn't meet those criteria, I did not cut anything. The pins on my J1 don't match the diagram in instructions anyway.

Does anyone have advice on what to do next?

~Matt

P.S. I've included a photo of the connectors in case it's helpful.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Matt,

Was it freezing stuff inside the refrigerator section before you replaced the motherboard?

And the manufacturer has updated the motherboard to this one:
WR55X10942P Main Control Board

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it!

Here's the parts diagram for your model: Parts for GE GSH22JSTESS: Fresh Food Section Parts

#242 is the thermistor(sensor) in the fresh food section

#455 is the thermistor cover its behind

Here's the fresh food thermistor(sensor) for your model:
WR55X10025 Temperature Sensor

Watch this video below, Shawn explains how to test/replace the all the thermistors. You will need a multimeter to ohm test your refrigerator(fresh food) section one.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

humanpowered

Premium Member
Finally got a chance to check the FF thermistor, it reads ~15.7K OHM in ice water. Lower than 16.3K but still within 5%. So it seems to be working fine.

I'll check the two sensors this weekend and give you an update.

Thanks for the help so far!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Matt, then its likely the motherboard you got came defective since it was not freezing in the refrigerator section before it stopped cooling altogether, where did you get it from? and the price you paid for it?

The motherboard I posted above is the OEM motherboard for your model, yes it's expensive, but it will fix it without freezing stuff in the refrigerator section.

I've replaced hundreds of these same motherboards in the last 20 years and it always fixed my customers without it freezing afterwards in the FF section.:)

Yes, some of my customers complain the price is too high, but I have no control over that, I sell it to them for what I pay for it, I don't mark up parts.:)

Because

Last edited:

humanpowered

Premium Member
I purchased the board from that link. Replaced the board today and already a few hours after it's still freezing in the FF section.

Which leads me to believe this isn't a board issue.

Any ideas?

~Matt

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Matt,

It can only be the FF thermistor or motherboard, it can't be anything else.

You will need to contact GE at 1-800-432-2737 to come out and see what's going on.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Both FF thermistors?

Jake

humanpowered

Premium Member
My understanding is that there is 1 thermistor in the FF section and 2 in Freezer section. 3 in total. I've replaced the one in the FF section over by the damper.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, I just located something about your air damper, that maybe causing the freezing problem in your Fresh Food section. I'm attaching it below.

High Usage Conditions:
The electrical connector (plug) used for the motorized damper is still located in the refrigerator liner. It is approved to use a motorized damper in place of a Mylar damper in cases involving high usage, when all other service checks
have been performed.
The electronic control board is capable of running either type of damper. Motorized Damper – WR09X10050

Here it is:
WR09X10050 Damper and Gasket Assembly

Jake

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My understanding is that there is 1 thermistor in the FF section and 2 in Freezer section. 3 in total. I've replaced the one in the FF section over by the damper.
You have 2 in the FF section, the other one is #242 here:
Its located behind that Fresh Food sensor cover #455.

Jake