Replacement Fan Motor for Sears Portable Heater Needed

wordbuilder

Premium Member
I think the heater is from the '70s (cone shaped and orange). It's 1500-watt, from Sears. The heating element and power switch work fine, but the fan motor just vibrates and fails to turn. Can anyone point me to where I might find a replacment? The shaft is smooth and protudes from the top 1/2".

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Its best to take that fan motor to your local appliance parts store in your area, they can likely match it up with a GEMLINE or universal one.

Jake

wordbuilder

Premium Member
Thank you, Jake. My town doesn't have an appliance parts store but I'll be in Albuquerque in a few weeks so I'll take it along with me and hope they can help me out.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Jake said:
Its best to take that fan motor to your local appliance parts store in your area
I might also suggest a HVAC parts supplier.

wordbuilder said:
My town doesn't have an appliance parts store but I'll be in Albuquerque in a few weeks
There looks to be a Johnstone Supply in Albuquerque. They might be a good choice as they sell both appliance and HVAC parts and supplies. They might even have an online catalog you can look through. You're looking for an "open frame, shaded pole motor". The stack thickness and shaft diameter are likely most important. The rotation is usually reversible. 120V AC of course.

JMO

Dan O.

Last edited:

wordbuilder

Premium Member
Very much appreciated, Dan. I'll look for an online catalog. Either way, I'll probably drop by Johnstone Supply when I'm in Albuquerque. Knowing the name for this type of motor should help in my search.

wordbuilder

Premium Member
I struck out at Johnstone. I held it up and the guy at the counter gave it a quick glance and said something along the lines of, "We don't have anything like that."

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I'm surprised! I'll look for a universal motor catalog you can browse through.

wordbuilder

Premium Member
Thank you, Dan. I'll try to find something online as well. I'm just worried I'll get the wrong thing. I don't even have a caliper to measure the diameter of the shaft. I could use a ruler and hope I get it close enough.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
wordbuilder said:
I'm just worried I'll get the wrong thing. I don't even have a caliper to measure the diameter of the shaft. I could use a ruler and hope I get it close enough.
A ruler should be fine. There won't be too many shaft choices 1/8", 1/4", 3/16" possibly by looking at the pic. The stack thickness will vary too.

Here's a Canadian catalog. I'm not sure if you can get them in the USA

LINK > http://www.alltemp.ca/wp-content/files_mf/1446839245rotom_master_v40.pdf

Last edited:

wordbuilder

Premium Member
Thank you much, Dan. I really do appreciate it. I feel kind of dumb for missing that information earlier. I'll get a motor ordered and check in again when I get the heater put back together.