• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Replacement Recommendation for 27 Yr Old Whirlpool Beltdrive?

pgtr

Premium Member
Model Number
LA6800XM
Brand
Whirlpool
I've had my Whirlpools since 1984s. Fixed a few items over the years, a switch, some hoses and a wig wag. Today the motor overheated, it stopped working and started smelling like it was burning. I took the transmission partially off and found the metal spring tab that holds the cambar rods down had come undone. Fixed that but it's still vibrating like crazy and not spinning though pump works. Maybe the wigwag failed again, maybe some bearings are failing, ...I dunno. Frankly, after 27 years I'm thinking it's time to move on. I haven't really been following the latest in washers (and dryers). I realize beltdrives are long gone, replaced with directdrives. Front loaders are popular but I think I'm more comfortable w/ a top loader.

What would be a good make/model to consider that roughly equates to my old Whirlpool LA6800XM as to size, service-ability (hopefully better) and potential for quality/longevity? Probably a top loader direct drive but beyond that...? Recommendations?

Thanks!

PS: I'll probably go for a matching dryer - it's also 27 years old...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

pgtr

Premium Member
Thanks. I was looking at the Whirlpool TLs such as the WTW7320Y w/ 4 cu ft shown on the link you provided. I don't expect another 27 yrs like my current Whirlpool but...

...that or maybe a Speed Queen TL model (though they only seem to offer slightly smaller models in TL).

thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Speed Queen is good as well.:)

Jake

pgtr

Premium Member
Thanks. I'll check them out this weekend.

By the way, I saw it mentioned somewhere that some of the Whirlpools were going back to a belt drive arrangement... True???

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, I haven't heard that, just the front-loaders are belt drive.

Jake