• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Replacing ice maker, reservoir and filter lines.

scolenyc

Premium Member
Model Number
TPX24
Brand
GE
Two water lines on this appliance are cracked/broken. The first is off the red valve leading to the ice maker. The second is off the blue valve where the line runs into the back left side of the refrigerator. I'm assuming this goes to the water reservoir. My first question is how to disconnect the icemaker line at the top of the appliance. Below is a photo of where the line ends. Is the yellow "cap" the junction where I disconnect the line by removing the metal clamp? If so, should I try to reuse the clamp after I pry it apart or is there a replacement part I should order with the new 1/4 line?

icemaker.JPG

Second, I think I need a few words of encouragement . . . is it relatively easy to replace the water reservoir and line? Any useful tips on re-running the tubing back to the valve?

Would you advise replacing the remaining lines (to filter and to dispenser) since the other two went bad? Are these relatively easy as well

Thanks for your insight. I'll order all parts as soon as I get some feedback.

Happy Holidays!

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The less you need to do on that ice make connection, the better. If you're not having any issues with it leaking and the line is still good, just reuse it. If the lower part of the line is bad, cut the line 12" below the metal clamp and use a "John Guest" 1/4" coupler. The new water tank comes with enough water line to reach the water valve. The water tank has an "IN" connection and an "OUT" connection so do one line at a time. Depending on your water valve system you have now, you might need the conversion kit:
Water Tank Assembly WR17X4358 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Water-Tank-Assembly-WR17X4358--00674803.jpg

Water Inlet Valve WR49X10043 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Water-Inlet-Valve-WR49X10043-00909491.jpg

scolenyc

Premium Member
Thanks, Rick. I decided to splice the three lines feeding into the bottom of the valves as they were all showing degenerative changes. There are no leaks in the reservoir or the water dispenser and valves are functioning normally too, so I decided not to replace those. I've got new 1/4 tubing and couplers plus 5/16" tubing and couplers on order to splice the lines to the filter, ice maker and reservoir. I'll let you know if I have any problems with the repair.

Not concerned about the appliance, just concerned that the leak has been going on for a while and that there might be hidden water damage structurally.

Turns out the contractor did not grout the tiles at the back of the refrigerator so the leaking water was being channeled under the baseboard, into the wall cavity and then leaking out of a light fixture in the lower level of the home. Now, realizing that leaks caused by cracked and broken plastic tubing are so common, I'm surprised use of the tubing is permitted or that a manufacturer wants to use substandard materials like this . . . or that the design places the tubing near the compressor where heat greatly increases the likelihood of failure.

Much appreciation to this blog. I was convinced that the leak was from the valves and it goes without saying that the cost of the tubing and connectors pales by comparison to a new valve and reservoir. You guys are the best!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
We're glad we could help! GE and most of the other manufactures used the best that was available at the time. It might be considered by some as sub standard today but when that machine was manufactured it was considered top of the line water line. Let's face it, after 10 years parts fail and sh** happens. If appliances didn't break down or appliance parts didn't fail, service techs would be out of a job and this site wouldn't be here. I've noticed a lot of parts are now coming from China so we should be around for a long time.