• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Replacing transmission in HAV2360AWW

Chris1301

Premium Member
Model Number
HAV2360AWW
Brand
Maytag
I am replacing the transmission in my Maytag HAV2360AWW. This is the version that has seven washers on either side of the pulley, so I believe our machine is not the Series 22. When I am installing the new transmission, is it fine to use all of the washers that are a part of the machine, or do I need to do something different? The first transmission I installed had a leak at the top, so I am on round two. But, I was concerned when I was installing the first transmission (with the tub upside-down) that it was so difficult to re-install the e-clip. I left out one of the washers closest to the e-clip because that was necessary to get the right movement of the cam inside of the pulley. The thrust bearing kit that Appliance Parts Pros sells for the HAV2360AWW has a metal roller bearing whereas my HAV2360AWW does not have that. Do I need to get the thrust bearing kit and use the metal roller bearing instead of some of the washers on my machine? If so, which washers? I really want the new transmission to work. Thanks for any help you can give.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I believe our machine is not the Series 22.
The serial number will tell you if yours is Series 22 or not. What is the serial number of your washer?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, per your serial number, its NOT series 22.:)

Here's the thrust bearing kit for your model (Video Included in part link):
12002213 Thrust Bearing Kit

Jake

Chris1301

Premium Member
Does the thrust bearing need to be replaced when the transmission is replaced with the newer high torque version? If I replace the thrust bearing, do I omit all of the washers between the pulley and the brake rotor? Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its always best to install the new thrust bearing kit when replacing the transmission, all the washers have to be in the correct order and in place, that is true with high-torque or regular-torque transmissions.:)

Here's the transmission for your model:
Transmission 35-6615

Jake

Chris1301

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick responses, Jake. Please bear with me just a bit longer as I clarify my one remaining point of uncertainty.

In the part diagram from the Thrust Bearing Kit Page:
they show the old bearing assembly (which I have on my washer) with 5 little rings (at least some of them are washers) below the brake stator and above the pulley.

However the install video on that page only uses 2 little ring-like parts for the replacement thrust bearing kit: a roller bearing and a plastic collar. So with the new thruster kit, do I no longer need the 5 old little ring-like objects? Are they all replaced by 2 new parts -- the roller bearing and the plastic collar? Thanks a ton for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm not following you.

All I know is you have to use what's in the thrust bearing kit per the instructions in that kit.

Jake

Chris1301

Premium Member
The video for the thrust bearing kit says to remove the old bearing assembly along with any spacer washers. In our machine, we don't have an "old bearing assembly." We only have a bunch of spacers/washers in the location where the video shows the "old bearing assembly." I have the machine mostly back together right now; when I take it apart again, I'll follow up with a reply, because I'll have a better sense of what I need to clarify, if anything. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

They must've redesigned this thrust bearing kit, since I last replaced it many years ago. Looks like they did remove many of those washers now and using just a couple now.

Watch this video below, it shows the original thrust bearing that had the ball bearings in it, and all those 5 washers/spacers. In the AppliancePartsPros video it did not show those separate 5 washers/spacers.

Now the kit comes with that plastic thrust bearing you use instead. So I guess you can disregard those original 5 washers/spacers and use the ones in the new thrust bearing kit.

Jake

Chris1301

Premium Member
Jake,
Thank you so much. The video you posted is very helpful. After you mentioned the old thrust bearing with ball bearings in it, and after I watched the video, I remembered that one of the metal rings that I thought was a spacer/washer actually does have the tiny ball bearings on it. Now I understand that that is the thrust bearing on my machine. And, I will go ahead and replace the old thrust bearing (with all its associated spacer washers) with the new thrust bearing. Thanks again. The information you provided is exactly what I needed to keep this project moving forward.
Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Chris, let us know how it goes.

Jake

Chris1301

Premium Member
Hello, Jake.

I finally had time today to replace the thrust bearing using the new thrust bearing kit. So, I have replaced the transmission, the tub seal/bearing that came with the transmission, and the thrust bearing kit.

Unfortunately, I'm getting a very loud sound from the machine during the agitation cycle and the spin cycle. It's fairly high pitched.
Also, the machine isn't making the normal agitation movements during the agitation cycle. It's just spinning around at break-neck speed. Finally, the tub is shaking during both the agitation cycle and spin cycle.

I took the front off of the machine to try to get an idea where the problem is coming from. I really can't tell.

I recorded a video to show the shaking and the sound, but I couldn't upload it to this blog. So, I uploaded it to my FB page. Here are the links (first shows agitation cycle; second shows spin cycle):

If you would let me know your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Chris, in the first video you have no water in the tub, so it will NOT agitate until the tub is full of water, and actually you have the timer in the wash spin cycle, not in the wash agitate cycle.

The noise sounds like possibly the drain pump bearing is shot. Take the belt off the bottom pulleys and turn the drain pump pulley both ways, it should turn smooth and not rough, and it should NOT make any noise when you turn it.

Here's the drain pump for your model, in case you need to order it:
WP35-6780 Washer Drain Pump Assembly

If it turns smooth then do the same with your motor pulley. It should turn smooth too both ways.

Watch this video below:

Jake

Chris1301

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for your reply and recommendations. When I turn the drain pump pulley, I am definitely getting a grating noise, so I will replace that.

When I turn the motor pump pulley, it seems to turn smoothly but makes a very slight noise in both directions - like a slight scraping noise. Is it supposed to be completely silent when I turn it? If so, I will get a new motor along with the new drain pump. I have also considered replacing the motor either way, just to make sure I can get one while they are still available.

Thanks.
Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can run the motor without the belt and see if it makes that same noise.

I believe it's just your drain pump though, since you said its making a grating noise, the drain pump should not make any noise at all when you turn it, it should turn smooth too.

Jake

Chris1301

Premium Member
Hello, Jake.

Thanks for your recommendation to replace the drain pump. I did that, and the noise I was getting before is definitely better. It seems like I still have some work to do, though.

The 1st video here indicates the sound of the machine when it's filling - no problems that I can tell.

The 2nd video shows the sound of the machine earlier this morning - pretty bad, and it gets worse as the video goes along.

The 3rd video shows the sound now -- better than earlier this morning, but still not right. I don't know why the sound changed from the 2nd video to the 3rd.

If you would let me know your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Chris1301

Premium Member
Hi, Jake.

I replaced the tub seal/bearing - #7 when I replaced the transmission. The tub seal/bearing came with the transmission with instructions that the new high-torque transmission required the new tub seal/bearing. Do you think the new tub seal/bearing is a bad part? Do you think the new transmission is bad? (I got the transmission & tub seal/bearing from Repair Clinic.)

Regarding #12, Appliance Parts Pros has two number 12 parts in the list of parts - the spin bearing and the lower bearing assembly. Are you referring to the lower bearing assembly? If so, the new transmission had a lower bearing assembly with it. Do you think it's also bad - even though brand new? Do you think I may have made an error in the repair? It seemed pretty straight-forward, though requiring a lot of steps.

Thanks,
Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its likely the other #12 bearing that did not come with the transmission.

You will need to remove the transmission and see.

That's the problem Chris with trying to fix old machines, you can't just order the transmission, you have to order the bearings that don't come with the transmission as well, or you have to keep taking the transmission out to keep replacing parts, and unless you got too much time on your hands, it can get extremely time consuming.

When you have the transmission out, check the transmission bearings too and make sure those turn smooth.

Jake