• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Replacing transmission in HAV2360AWW

Chris1301

Premium Member
Jake,

I don't think that the other #12 bearing that did not come with the transmission is on my machine - even though it shows up on the diagram. And as it turns out, the other #12 bearing is not available/discontinued by manufacturer.

Do you think that the bearings inside of a brand new transmission, including the brand new lower bearing assembly and the brand new tub seal/bearing would be bad?

This is the transmission kit. We bought ours from Repair Clinic, but you can see it here:

I've put a lot of time into this, and I do think that I'm getting close, so I hope this will be a success story. Thanks for your help.

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My bad, you are right, then the transmission bearing should be fine, as it comes with the transmission.

Did you also order the seal and bearing kit? Because it's likely that upper bearing in the seal and bearing kit that's bad.

Here's the kit I always use to do this job:
Tub Seal and Bearing Kit W10219156

Jake

Chris1301

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Since my last email, I've replaced the springs, the snubber ring, and the motor. Everything seemed to be going mostly fine (except for a very slight noise that I thought might be the normal noise of the new transmission). Then during a wash cycle, I heard a banging sound of metal on metal. The motor base plate somehow got loosened and was hitting the base of the machine.

I took out the motor & motor base plate and saw damage on the threads of one of the hex head screws holding the motor base plate to the machine base. I also saw damage to the threading that's inside of the hole that the hex head screw screws into - it's slightly bent up at the beginning of the threading. Any ideas for fixing this? I've attached a photo of the screw hole from above, and a photo from below.

The hex head screws are no longer available by the manufacturer, but I'm going to try to get them at the hardware store. My problem is the damaged/bent area in the threaded hole where the hex head screw goes into the base of the machine.

I could be wrong, but I think the new high-torque transmission is straining various older parts of the machine. Or, maybe more likely, I just didn't adequately tighten the screw when I was re-installing the motor base plate.

Thanks,
Chris 20200317_093211.jpg20200317_091927.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Chris,

I'm going to try to get them at the hardware store.
That's what I would do too!

I could be wrong, but I think the new high-torque transmission is straining various older parts of the machine. Or, maybe more likely, I just didn't adequately tighten the screw when I was re-installing the motor base plate.
Seems it maybe more the later.

Jake

Chris1301

Premium Member
Jake,

Do you have any ideas for repairing the threaded hole so that the new screws I'm planning to buy will thread into it? The threading inside the hole is slightly distorted right where it begins. That's what I can see. I wonder if the entire threading inside the whole is distorted/damaged.

Thanks,
Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know Chris, I've never seen that happen before. Maybe try to find a metal shop in your area, they may have some suggestions.

Jake

Chris1301

Premium Member
Jake,

Any suggestions for a good place to purchase the screw and the speednut? My search yesterday at local hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, and Napa Auto Parts yielded zero results. I got close, but couldn't find the right sizes.

Chris

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I wish I knew Chris, like I mentioned try a metal shop in your area.

Jake