• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Return of Belt Drive Top Loaders?

pgtr

Premium Member
Model Number
WTW4800XQ
Brand
Whirlpool
According to this video, he is claiming that the Whirlpool WTW4800XQ is a "belt drive" washing machine like the belt drives of old. He also mentions the model is equivalent to the Kenmore 2110 and Maytag 200x if I heard him correctly. I clicked through some of the comments and I saw where it was posted that this type of modern belt drive does not use a transmission but rather the motor reverses and is connected to the agitator by a belt...? I also saw mentioned some comparisons to Speed Queen?

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yk_aLVfOjAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Q: Can anyone confirm this is a belt drive model?
Q: If so how can one easily identify others Whirlpool (Kenmoores, Maytags) that are also belt drive?
Q: Are they correct - is this similar to the Speedqueen design?
Q: Are they correct - belt drive is preferrable to direct drive?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Interesting, yes model is a belt drive I didn't know about.

I guess you won't be able to tell in store on display unless you tilt the washer back and look underneath.

I don't know if its a similar design to the Speed Queen, I haven't seen a new Speed Queen in about 10 years.

No, direct drive is far superior to the belt drive.

Jake

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
2 cents worth....

I saw where it was posted that this type of modern belt drive does not use a transmission
Sure does, called a "gearcase" W10006378

This monster looks kinda like the "world washer" :eek:

jeff.