• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED RF175W Fisher & Paykel Refrigerator - Water Solenoid Testing

GrantT

Premium Member
Model Number
RF175W
Hello all,

Just perhaps a somewhat generic question as I am in the process of troubleshooting a water problem with my fridge (no water to fridge or ice maker). I am testing the resistance of the water / ice maker dual solenoid and both side come back at around 15 ohms. Now, being there are two sides, both measuring the same, that makes me wonder - everywhere I see them tested, they are supposed to be in the 200 ohm to 1500ohms range.

Anyone run into a solenoid measuring this low and is this seem normal perhaps for this model as a possibility?

I can't help but think another logic board could also be at fault. I don't think it is a freezing issue as I tried to trigger the solenoid to just dump water into a bucket (not connected to the fridge water line itself) and I can feel a little nudge in the solenoid, but no water comes out.

Any ideas?

GrantT

Premium Member
Hey again all,

So, took a chance and replaced the water solenoid, but no go...same result as previous. Press the water cup button in and the display shows water dispensing symbol, but no water comes out. I don't think the ice making side is working either...pressing the buttons to cycle the ice tray does not seem to do anything - no noise, water tray dump/fill...nothing. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Grant,

I wish I could help you but I can't, I have never had training or worked on Fisher & Paykel Refrigerators, Hopefully a Fisher & Paykel Refrigerator tech can come post in your thread and help you with this.

Jake

GrantT

Premium Member
No worries...I actually solved my issue this morning. The water hose that comes into the back of the fridge goes up to the filter canister twist-on fitting, then back OUT the back of the fridge and into the solenoid. After my error assuming it was the solenoid (a $150 error, but no biggie) I bypassed the water filter housing (that just has the bypass plug on it, not an actual filter - I filter my water externally before it hits the fridge) and I now have water flowing again. I don't realize how, but somehow the filter receptacle is the problem. I can push in the little plugs and water sprays everywhere, but don't know, other than replacing that, what else to do with it....so I just bypassed in completely...with my filtered water going directly into the solenoid....all seems good. Little bit of a hack, but same end result.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Grant, good job finding the problem was the water filter housing, and thus bypassing it as you filter the water externally.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake