• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED RF197ACWP Samsung French door freezing all my food!! Need diagrams please

Scampo77

Premium Member
Model Number
RF197ACWP
Brand
Samsung
Any help is appreciated. I have pulled apart all of the covers inside the fridge. I have found four thermistors so far.

#1 outside and above the door
#2 on top of fridge evaporator
#3 dangling in the fridge part
#4 on top of freezer evaporator

All 4 thermistors act the same way, when I freeze them or warm them, the resistance changes and they are all in the 8k to 20k range, none are locked open or closed.

I have some sort of an ice tray in the freezer part, but I have unplugged and removed it until I can sort this problem out.

I have tried pressing the two buttons on top of the fridge to get the code, but all I get is 88-88. When I plug the fridge in the compressor comes on full load and runs continuously until everything in the fridge freezes.

Where is the logic board located?
What else can I test?

I am desperate for advice

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
#3 dangling in the fridge part
Thermistors don't dangle so that could be a problem. Thermistors can also fail out of range. Check the thermistors at room temperature or 77°F the thermistors should measure about 5K Ω. Here's the temperature resistance chart. You can check the thermistors at the main board. If the thermistors check good replace the board:
R- GE Samsung PFSx6 GFSx6 Sensor Resistance Voltage Chart.jpeg

Snapshot_1.jpg

Scampo77

Premium Member
Are all the thermistors ranged the same?

Where is the logic board?

What is the part number for the new board?

Thank you so much for the response, I just let out a huge sigh of relief that someone is willing to help me

rickgburton

Staff member

Scampo77

Premium Member
What is the part number for the new control board?

What is the part number for the thermistors?

Where do these parts come from? I live in a large city, do they usually become locally or mail order?

rickgburton

Staff member

Scampo77

Premium Member
I cannot test the upper thermistor on the exterior of the fridge. I guess I could cut and solder it, but the other 3 tested fine.

Enclosed are photos of the thermistor I cannot test and of the control board I suspect has failed. I still have the same symptoms of the compressor running 24/7.

The display at startup goes to those weird lines on the display, when I hold down the 2 power cool buttons for 8 Seconds it snaps back to temperatures.

I am leaning heavily towards the control board, where do I purchase one? How do I verify the Samsung or aftermarket part number?

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member

Scampo77

Premium Member
The repair board showed up today and it is stuck in F mode I live in Canada and need it to be in C mode. I have cranked the temp as warm as it will go and the compressor has been running for 30 mind non stop just like the previous symptoms. I hope it's a F to C settings thing.

Also the drain for the evaporator in the fridge goes down a drain tube to a water solonoid and then out to a blue tube, where does this blue tube go to? Right now it's capped.

rickgburton

Staff member
.... the drain for the evaporator in the fridge goes down a drain tube to a water solonoid
That's not a drain line, it's the water line for the filter or reservoir.

Scampo77

Premium Member
I have gone through the manual and can't figure out how to change it back to celcius ? I'm -16 in the freezer and -2 in fridge (measured) and this stupid thing is still compressing like there is no tomorrow.

rickgburton

Staff member
No, that's the defrost thermostat/sensor. The owners manual will tell you how to switch between °F and °C. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the owners manual.
I have cranked the temp as warm as it will go and the compressor has been running for 30 mind non stop
The compressor will run for a long period when first installed or after a long power outage.
I hope it's a F to C settings thing.
OK, Here's the deal; The control board uses the information from the thermistors (sensors) to control the compressor run time. It doesn't matter the temps are set to °F or °C. Use the temperature/resistance chart and board diagram I gave you in post #2 to recheck the thermistors. It's one or the other. Here's a "rapid repair resolution" I found for that model. Note the section under Compressor > runs too long:

RF197AC.jpg

Scampo77

Premium Member
Thank you so much for the help on this I will let it run through the night and I will report back tomorrow. I was also thinking about getting resistors and sticking them into the female sockets, to eliminate the thermistor completely from this problem. Good idea? Bad idea?

rickgburton

Staff member
Good idea? Bad idea?
Very Bad - The thermistors are variable resistors that change value with temperature. If the value never changes the control will interrupt that as a failed sensor.

Scampo77

Premium Member
So the fridge ran full tilt throughout the night, then this morning.... SUCCESS!!! it seems to be cycling on and off. Thank you so much for the help!!!

I need to figure out the water evacuation for the evaporator in the fridge next. It seems to be over flowing and ending up at the bottom of the fridge and then freezing there. Hopefully because I'm not freezing anymore it will drain properly.

Thanks again, this forum is awesome.

I'm not done yet, I will put the fridge back together with the fans and the covers for everything and I will report back.

rickgburton

Staff member
I need to figure out the water evacuation for the evaporator in the fridge next.
The drain hole is under the evaporator and drains out through a drain tube into the drain pan where the compressor sits.

Snapshot_3.jpg

Scampo77

Premium Member
I came home to another freeze-up, after unplugging and defrosting the fridge with a hairdryer, I plugged it back in and got a blinking light (see attached photo). On the previous post on the top right hand corner, this says that it could be a blink code and I need to refer to a chart to verify the code. Do you have this chart?

Attachments

Scampo77

Premium Member
Nevermind, I found the blink codes online, it was for the freezer fan and the ice maker, they were both out and sitting off the the side. I plugged them both in and unplugged and replugged and the codes went away and fired up and went direct to temp display (in Fahrenheit, haven't figured that out yet)

Round 67!!! Now I wait again