• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RF23HCEDBSR Samsung Fridge Too Cold

ianmurphy

Premium Member
Model Number
RF23HCEDBSR
Brand
Samsung
Hello everyone, first post here.

We just bought a used Samsung Refrigerator (model # RF23HCEDBSR) and the fridge compartment is way too cold (even on the highest temp settings). Our food is freezing and the water dispenser doesn't work because the water in the lines/filter is frozen solid. Previous owner claims it never happened to him, but I did find a spare temperature sensor included with it so he clearly was tinkering with it.

Here is some background info:
  • We had to transport it on its side but left it upright unplugged for 24 hours before we turned it on again
  • I took it apart and checked 3 of the temperature sensors in the fridge compartment and they are all within the ohm range, so I believe they are all fine (checked them at room temperature and cold)
  • I took out the damper gate thing and it was not jammed or stuck open
  • I don't think there are any error codes
I am not really sure what to check for next. I have seen a similar posts here where replacing the main control board solved the problem, but since that is such an expensive part I wanted that to be my last resort. Is there anything else I can check or test? I did buy the repair manual for this fridge - I have attached the wiring diagram but let me know if you need more info.

Thanks in advance!
Ian

Samsung wiring diagram.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take a photo of your model number tag and upload it here, because this model has about 14 revision numbers and the main control board varies from revision to revision.

It has to be the main control board since your thermistors ohm test good.

Jake

ianmurphy

Premium Member
Hi Jake, thanks for the reply. See attached photo of the model number / serial number. Does that help narrow it down?

When I was trying to look up the part number of the main control board I found DB92-02875B and DA94-02274G but I couldn't tell what the difference was. Do you know which one is correct or if it matters?

Attachments

• 20220208_220311.jpg
    20220208_220311.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 56

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

ianmurphy

Premium Member
Unfortunately the new control board did not resolve the temperature issue, its been 24 hours and everything is still frozen. Is there anything else that could cause this issue? I also checked the sensor voltages and they were all at 4.8V as they are supposed to be. Not sure what else I can do, I hate to have to buy a new fridge.

I will double check all these sensors again but doubt they are the issue because I think there would be an error code. I am assuming FZ = freezer and FF = fridge but it doesn't say that anywhere in the manual.
  • FZ sensor
  • FF sensor
  • FZ DEF sensor
  • FF DEF sensor
  • Ambient sensor
  • Pantry sensor
  • Ice maker (FZ) sensor
  • Ice maker (FF) sensor
  • Ice Room sensor
  • Humidity sensor
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Ian

Block Diagram.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it has to be a bad refrigerator temperature sensor, that's all it can be.

Jake

ianmurphy

Premium Member
Okay maybe I will try replacing one or some of these sensors. I just can't figure out which one is bad because their resistances all seem fine. It does seem that all of the voltages are low though, the manual says sensor voltage should be above 0.6V. Not sure if that would indicate a bad sensor or something else.

I checked all of the sensors even though the freezer and ice maker seem to be working fine:
  • FZ sensor (freezer) = 30.6 kOhm, 0.45V
  • FF sensor (fridge) = 14.8 kOhm, 0.45V
  • FZ DEF sensor (freezer defrost) = 21.5 kOhm, 0.5V
  • FF DEF sensor (fridge defrost) = 16.26 kOhm, 0.49V
  • Ambient sensor = 6.24 kOhm, 0.44V
  • Pantry sensor = 13.2 kOhm,
  • Ice maker (FF) sensor = 56 kOhm, 2.21V
  • Ice Room (IR) sensor = 16.6 kOhm, 0.5V
  • Ice maker (FZ) sensor - Not applicable to me (for dual ice maker)
  • Humidity sensor - not sure I have one

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it has to be the refrigerator sensor.

3 members with this exact same problem said it fixed theirs:

Here's the refrigerator sensor for your model you will need:
DA32-00011C Sensor

RepairClinic ships to Canada: https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Temperature-Sensor/DA32-00011C/2030286

Jake