• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RF24FSEDBSR/AA Samsung Twin Cooling Plus Refrigerator/freezer issue, Asked by others

braebyrn

Premium Member
Model Number
RF24FSEDBSR/AA
Brand
Samsung
This question looks like it has been asked by others, but to no resolve. Jake, I see you have responded to them. The problem with some of the twin cooling plus systems from Samsung refrigerators having a normal temperature fresh food cabin and a warm (not frozen) freezer cabin have been left unsolved or no return with a fix or solved answer.

I just pulled the main control board (page 121, link provided below) and with a pair of magnifying glasses, inspected it and found no evidence of burnt parts. However, I did notice a strong smell of electrical smells. Hard to say it was a burnt smoky smell, but it is definitely more than any normal smell of electronics. Sticking it up to my nose, I couldn't isolate the smell to any one resistor, cap, relay, etc. It all smelled the same.

I have not found that the system has a tri-valve. My unit is a RF24FSEDBSR/AA and I don't see any tri-valve on the system or in the service manual. My understanding of this Samsung Twin Zone Plus cooling is that there is a evaporator coil in the freezer and another in the fresh food cabin. I verified it by the service manual and removal of the panels.

If there is no Tri-valve, then how does the freezer coil throttle refrigerant? Does the compressor speed up and slow down in order for that to happen? I notice on the freezer evaporator there is a large filter looking piece fabricated into the coil. Does that have something to do it similar to what the cap tube does? Page 20 is the refrigerant route diagram with the Yoder loop and such.

The compressor on this unit was replaced recently and the refrigerant was weighed in. I watched the tech recover the old refrigerant, do a nitrogen purge when replacing the filter/dryer and compressor. He used very little nitrogen as it was being brazed up, something I never see them do and know now why they do it. The system was evacuated to 252 microns and left to sit for an hour where it stayed under 500 microns. He did not replace the evaporator coils. This is a R134A system.

The tech is no longer wanting to work on it and it was replaced under warranty. If someone knows other than to pass this off to another tech, it would be nice if they chimed in.

Here is the service manual:

Here is one of the other posts:

working_on_it

Premium Member
I have a saumsung RF260BEAE5R/AA doing the same. Fridge cold and freezer not freezing and no frost on evaporator coils for freezer. I looed in the back for the 3 wqy but cant find it. What a pain this is.

braebyrn

Premium Member
I have since figured that the board that controls the electronics for the evaporator and condensor fan is probably the culprit. After using a multimeter on the connectors for the fan, I do not get but 1 volt dc. The fan is a 12v fan if I recall correctly.

braebyrn

Premium Member
On my refrigerator the electronic burn smell is in this panel. Not sure what board control the evap or condenser fans.

Attachments

• 20220426_174448_HDR.jpg
    20220426_174448_HDR.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 44

paulhl

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Early Sub Zero's with one compressor had two evaps but no valve. It all depended on amount of freon, very critical. I hope diagram of this appears, I doubt if Samsung copied this old method.

Attachments

• 50510001 (1).pdf
    60.4 KB · Views: 40

braebyrn

Premium Member
The charge was weighed in on this unit. My control board area smelled like a burnt smell. I'm leaning to what board controls the evap or condenser fans.

working_on_it

Premium Member
I don't have any smells that I noticed. I'm wondering if its just low on freon.. Maybe I just need freon...maybe its low and when it's low not enough to cool bottom freezer? Im wondering this. Maybe I have a slow leak. No valve to add it..have to add a valve to add it of which I'll have to find someone to do it.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.