• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RF263TEAESR Samsung icing problem, side by side fridge doors, bottom freezer

ScottSD2020

Premium Member
Model Number
RF263TEAESR
Brand
Samsung
Thanks everyone! I have attached a picture of my problem. First I could hear the fan making a noise like it was freezing over inside so we let the fridge defrost overnight. This solved the problem for about a month. Then we repeated. Finally I took the inside cover off and saw what my picture shows. I used a hair dryer and dried it all out. Put back together and now it freezes up in about 12 days. Had an appliance repair service come over and they had no idea and quoted me a new compressor and maybe some other parts. Just looking for ideas thanks!

Attachments

• Samsung Fridge.jpg
    Samsung Fridge.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 38

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Scott,

So when you put it back together and put the evaporator cover back in place the fan runs fine, and it always frosts up at the top only?

The lower coils have little to no frost on them at all?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Scott,

Do the lower portion of the coils have a thin layer of frost on them?

Also after you defrost it, it cools perfect for 12 days? Do you put the evaporator cover back in place when your done defrost it? There is a fan that should be running in your evaporator cover, do you hear that fan running?

Jake

Last edited:

ScottSD2020

Premium Member
Do the lower portion of the coils have a thin layer of frost on them?
They really do not. Maybe ever so slightly.

Also after you defrost it, it cools perfect for 12 days? Do you put the evaporator cover back in place when your done defrost it? There is a fan that should be running in your evaporator cover, do you hear that fan running?
It cools great for those days in between. I take the temp with a metal thermometer. I do put the cover back in place right after I have cleared out the ice and dried the area. The fan I hook back up when I put that cover back on and it runs fine. After 12 days I hear the fan hitting the ice build up and that is my notice to start over again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I take the temp with a metal thermometer.
What does the temperature say it is when you say it cools fine for 12 days?

Jake

ScottSD2020

Premium Member
The temp is 40 which I have it set for. Freezer is always at temp too. We never notice the temp being an issue. The guy I had look at it thought the compressor was getting weak and at the top of the circuit it could be a little warmer to make frost. Without cooling issues I was a bit skeptical. Thanks for your help so far.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
But I really need to know the freezer temp. because if its always above 10 degrees in the freezer then he is right about a weak compressor.

Normal is always 0-10 degrees in the freezer.

Put the thermometer in the freezer and keep us posted.

Jake

ScottSD2020

Premium Member
I’ve had the thermometer in the freezer for an hour and it reading 22. Which surprises me... but I have waited and checked a few times and it is consistent. So that would be a weak compressor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
22 degrees is way too warm for the freezer, what is it now?

Jake