RF266ABPN - Freezer won’t freeze - Fridge is fine

Bdogggut34

Premium Member
Model Number
RF266ABPN
Brand
Samsung
Last week the freezer started developing some random ice on the door and walls, now it won’t get down to temperature to freeze. Refrigerator works just fine. Yesterday i manually defrosted everything and took off all panels and confirmed no ice or airflow blockage. When taking the freezer door off and closing the door sensor, the fan is on and blowing just fine.

I believe the freezer sensor or freezer defrost sensor may be the issue. However, when looking at parts and the diagram for the freezer i only see one sensor. In the freezer diagram it’s 1-2 and looks to be the freezer defrost sensor. The actual freezer sensor is under a small cover on the top of the freezer cabinet. However I don’t see that on the diagram.

My question is, if i want to go ahead and get both the freezer defrost sensor and the freezer sensor what do i get? Are they both the same?

Here is the parts page i was looking at for the freezer. 1-2 says sensor and looks to be associated with the defrost unit. I don’t see the sensor at the top of the freezer cabinet in this diagram. It’s not on the RF266 manual either. However it is labeled differently in the diagnostics

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Here's the parts diagram for your model that we use here:

It says 1-2 there as well. It should be there, if not something doesn't add up.

Here it is for your model:

Jake

Bdogggut34

Premium Member
Hi,

Here's the parts diagram for your model that we use here:

It says 1-2 there as well. It should be there, if not something doesn't add up.

Here it is for your model:

Jake
Jake,
So i got home and did some more testing. I think the sensors are fine. It’s really weird, the refrigerator systems seems to be working perfectly. The R Sensor reads 2.562 and the R-Def sensor reads 3.821. However the F sensor reads 2.511 and F-Def sensor reads 2.62. According to a condenser diagram i found it goes through the freezer coil first then to the refrigerator. Why would the refrigerator work just find but the R-Def sensor be colder than the F-Def sensor? It’s like its not cold enough in the freezer evaporator but then once it gets to the refrigerator its just fine.

Any other thoughts based on my voltage readings?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know, my knowledge on Samsung Refrigerators is very limited, they are not very popular in my area, so I never really service any. I'd have to go by the service manual as well if I ever do work on one.

Hopefully another tech. that has seen this problem can shed some light on it for us.

Jake

AllFixed

Premium Member
Most Samsung refrigerators are dual evaporator refrigerators. Which basically means there's two evaporators, a large one for the freezer compartment and a smaller one for the fresh food compartment.

Traditionally, refrigerators in the US have one evaporator and there's a fan that circulates the freezing air from the freezer evaporator to the fresh food compartment.

Dual evaporator refrigerators, such as Samsung, LG and more commonly the newer Whirlpools, use separate fan motors to circulate the cold air in their respective compartments.

As for your circumstance, you said there was frost on side walls in the freezer. That would indicate to me that the freezer door did not shut tightly and allowing warmer air to condensate and eventually freezing into frost in the freezer compartment. Heavy frost would also accumulate on the evaporator, but it would be unlikely you'd see that frost. If the frost was heavy enough it would prevent proper airflow within the freezer and temperatures would rise.

Usually, by manually defrosting the freezer and ensuring the drawer seal closes securely, that would fix your issue. However, that's a tall ask for a family with only one refrigerator.