• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED RF267AERS/XAA Samsung refrigerator has ice spot on the back wall

Brianswensen

Premium Member
Model Number
RF267AERS
Brand
Samsung
I am working on a refrigerator that is getting a spot of ice on the back wall of the refrigerator below the water filter. It seems like it should be water dripping from the filter, so I taped a paper towel under the filter to try to catch the drip, but the spot came back and the paper towel was completely dry. Next, I taped a paper towel where the ice is forming, but the ice still came back. I replaced the evaporator cover just in case, but it didn't help. I've attached a picture of the ice spot. The blue in the picture is tape on the paper towel. The ice seemed to form on top of the paper towel. Thanks!

View attachment 33472

Brianswensen

Premium Member
Sorry, different model. The model for this fridge is RF267AERS/XAA. Let me know if this picture works. Thanks!
Mai.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes thanks, photo is clear now.

That is very strange, I've never seen one frost there before, I have no clue. Hopefully another tech or member that's seen this happen before can shed some light on this problem.

Jake

aarodman

Brian, did you ever find a fix for this issue? I'm having the same issue and have not been able to resolve to this point.

Brianswensen

Premium Member
Brian, did you ever find a fix for this issue? I'm having the same issue and have not been able to resolve to this point.

No, it never got resolved. I changed the water hoses and grille cover but nothing changed. Let me know if you figure it out. It's a mystery.

ctaranto

Premium Member
Joined this forum because I am having the same issue, plus a spot under the right screw of the back panel.

These two areas created massive ice blocks - multiple pounds of ice. Takes about 3 months for them to grow that big.

I did a complete defrost of the unit (unplugged for several days), pulled off the back panel. I had a LOT of ice behind that panel - it took about 40 hours before the Styrofoam released from the wall. While it was off, I replaced the fan motor, defrost sensor, and temp sensor. Also installed the defrost leak kit. Cleaned everything out top to bottom. Repaired any missing foam or insulation on the back panel.

Put it all back together, and it cooled down to 38 degrees very quickly. Runs great.

But I still get those frost spots. I have a temp gun, and the back wall mostly measures in the mid to high 30s. These two spots measure in the low to mid 20s. Something behind there is REALLY cooling these two spots down, way below the set fridge temp (38). Probably some insulation missing, but no way to get to it.

I did try putting Vaseline on those area since I've read that Vaseline is used on fishing rods to prevent ice build up. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I'm next trying adhesive foam. It's arriving tomorrow so I won't know if it works until Sunday at the earliest. The thought is to eliminate any air from hitting those spots (remove the source of moisture) and provide an insulator that doesn't freeze (foam). At this point, I don't care how it look as long as I don't need to pop off massive blocks of ice every few months.

Wish me luck...

ctaranto

Premium Member
Was delayed on the project for a few reasons (Amazon delivered the adhesive foam a day late at 9pm and other life stuff).

This evening, I turned off the fridge and put the few contents into a cooler. I used a hair dryer to "heat up" the two areas of ice (which was already building up). Needed to be careful since the back plastic is very sensitive to heat and can deform easily (don't ask me how I now know this). One section received a 2.5" x 6" piece, there other a 4.5" x 4" piece. It seemed pretty sticky so I'm hopeful it stays even when the temp on the wall hits the low 20s.

Plugged it back it and 30 mins later, it was down to 38 degrees. Waiting and seeing....

ctaranto

Premium Member
So far, the adhesive foam has solved the icing issue on the back wall.

This is the product I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VZPCTLT/

The backing is very sticky and is easy to cut with scissors. I knew where my ice spots were, and then over-measured by about an inch around them. I ended up with a 2.5" x 6" and a 4.5" x 6" piece. See the attached picture for the locations. The top piece end up being behind one of the shelves, but since it's foam, a slight push gets the shelf to lock in.

Before putting any shelves back in, I ran the fridge for a week and noticed no degradation of adhesion. But, the first night I neglected to fully close the fridge doors - the door flapper on the left door wasn't in the right position when I closed the door. The fridge ended up running all night and had an inside temp hanging around 48 degrees. In the morning, there was a little frost on the foam (both pieces). Normally, this would have been the start of ice. I closed the doors (properly this time) and by the evening, the frost was gone, but the foam looked a little wet. By the next day, the foam looked dry. I am expecting that "normal" operation of the fridge (ie. not leaving the doors open over night) will mean no more ice. The picture I took was after about a week of running the fridge with no shelving but a few items sitting on the fridge floor.

Using my temp gun, the foam is reading colder than the rest of the fridge, but not low 20's like before.

It's only been a week, but so far, so good. I'll report back as I learn more. I still don't know what's causing those two spots to get so darn cold, but this is probably the best I can do to mitigate.

Attachments

• IMG_20211017_085752.jpg
    IMG_20211017_085752.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 16

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good @ctaranto thanks for letting us know what you did.(y)

Jake