FIXED RF268ABWP Samsung refrigerator won't clear codes

Steve_in_DE

Premium Member
Model Number
RF268ABWP
Brand
Samsung
My Samsung RF268ABWP refrigerator was without power for a few minutes yesterday as I needed to briefly switch off the breaker. After I turned the breaker back on the fridge showed a code, which I cannot clear, either by disconnecting the fridge, or holding down the "power freeze" and "power cool" buttons. Please take a look at the picture. The "88" on the left is not blinking; the code on the right is. Any ideas on how I can clear this?

Samsung RF268ABWP code.gif

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Steve,

I haven't run into this problem your having as of yet, and I can't locate the tech data sheet or service manual for this model.

Try to leave it unplugged for a couple hours and then see if resets when you plug it back in.

Jake

Steve_in_DE

Premium Member
Thanks for the tip, however I just tried it (2 hours unplugged) - didn't help. Is it possible that simply cutting the power then restoring it was enough to burn out some circuit board? Is there something I can check?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its possible.

You can look at the main control board to see if you notice any burnt spots on it. Its located in the back of your refrigerator, behind its cover on the back of your refrigerator cabinet.

Here it is for your model:
DA41-00620C Assy Pcb MAIN

Jake

Steve_in_DE

Premium Member
Jake,

I looked at the control boards and saw no damage of any sort - no blown capacitors, no burnt spots. There is a good fuse on both boards.

I took note of the codes list on the back of the fridge and took note of which applied to me. That has got me thinking (uh-oh)…

I see that most of the codes refer to ice making. Several months ago I removed the lower ice maker. I had accidentally knocked off the part of the icemaker that sits on the roof of the freezer and was not able to figure out how to re-assemble. It was then dumping water directly into the freezer drawer rather than the icemaker. I removed the unit and used the ICE OFF control on the panel to turn off icemaking there.

R10-F Ice pipe heater error
R10-E ice maker(F) operation system error
R10-D sensor system in ice maker(R) error
R1-G Defrost system in FF compartment errors

The rest of the fridge operated fine for months, until the power got turned off temporarily. Is it possible that it "forgot" that I hit the "ice off" option, and is now looking for the lower icemaker, and thus generating these codes? If so then it would seem all I need to do is but a new unit and install it. Wishful thinking maybe, but possible I suppose.

There is a red light on the small circuit board. Not sure if it should be lit or not. See the picture.

light on small PCB.jpg

Fridge codes list.png

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is it possible that it "forgot" that I hit the "ice off" option, and is now looking for the lower icemaker, and thus generating these codes?
Yes Steve, that sounds logical to me.:)

There is a red light on the small circuit board. Not sure if it should be lit or not.
Is that RED light flashing in that photo of your inverter board?

If you notice a RED FLASHING LIGHT on the inverter board you will need a new inverter board.

Here's the compressor inverter board for your model you can order if needed:
Inverter Board DA41-00614F

Jake

Steve_in_DE

Premium Member
Is that RED light flashing in that photo of your inverter board?

If you notice a RED FLASHING LIGHT on the inverter board you will need a new inverter board. Jake
I just checked the inverter board. The red light is now off. What do the various states mean - off, on, flashing?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Steve, the RED LIGHT on the inverter board should be steady ON.

Is your compressor running?

Jake

Steve_in_DE

Premium Member
Just now I took another look behind the back panel, to find the red light steadily ON! All I can say is, through all of this, my fridge and freezer are at the correct temperature, and it dispenses water. My only issue is that I cannot control anything on the panel, including choosing ice, etc. Mysterious.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, about the only thing you can do now it start replacing parts since we don't have the tech. data sheet to go by, or have Samsung come out.

All parts you order and replace come with a 365 day full return refund policy, less shipping, even if you install it and it doesn't fix it.:)

The first part I would replace is That User Interface board.

Here it is for your model:
User Control and Display Board DA41-00644A

Jake

Steve_in_DE

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

After months of ignoring the problem, I finally found a vendor with the "user control and display board". NOW my challenge is figuring out how to open up the front of the panel so I can swap out the board! Do you have any thoughts here? Here is a picture of the unit. I found that the one screw that belongs there (just to the right of the ice dispensing funnel) was already removed. Other than that I see no clear way to pull this out. As always, your input is much appreciated!
Snap 2019-04-15 at 21.45.39.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Steve_in_DE

Premium Member
I found this page which shows the structure around the board. The attached picture of the part is from that page. It appears to have at least seven clips all around it, though there is no slot for a screwdriver to get to any of them. I may have to start "probing" around the top and sides with a flat spackle-knife and see if I can get at them.

Snap 2019-04-16 at 14.01.39.jpg

Last edited:

Steve_in_DE

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I got the case open with the spackle knife (only broke one of the several tabs!) and was able to test the new circuit board. Apparently my old one is good, as the new one showed two codes at first, and now is showing four - the same ones the old board showed. They are:

R10-F Ice pipe heater error
R10-E ice maker(F) operation system error
R10-D sensor system in ice maker(R) error
R1-G Defrost system in FF compartment errors

So it seems that it is still complaining about the lower ice maker - which isn't there. It seems the next step is to buy that ice maker. I don't need it or want it - but apparently the fridge can't go on without it!

Steve

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unplug the LOWER ice maker first and see if it goes away.

Jake

Steve_in_DE

Premium Member
The lower ice maker is the one that's missing. Ages ago, somehow it started leaking (I think I banged into it with items in the freezer food tray), then filled the sliding tray with water which became an iceberg. I had to pull the whole thing apart to restore the freezer.

The lower icemaker did not survive the operation. I then turned off the icemaker at the panel. Months after that, the power blink occurred which apparently cleared my commands to turn off the lower icemaker, and the panel decided that it was broken, when in fact it is just not there.

I started this thread because I thought the panel itself may be bad, but now (after testing with a replacement panel that then generated the same codes) it is apparent that it's working, just not recognizing that there is NO lower icemaker installed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Steve_in_DE

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I bought the "twist" icemaker, DA97-07603B. It fit perfectly. After I connected it all up the codes all went away and the control panel lit up and functioned as it should! I did of course unplug the fridge while doing the connecting!

NOW MY VERY LAST QUESTION (I hope)…

The icemaker has an arm that extends down to gauge the amount of ice in the basket. On this new one the arm is UP. It does not want to go down just by pushing on it. I don't want to shove it around too much; what's the proper way to lower it? I guess the icemaker won't start making ice until it's down.

Steve