• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RF28 Samsung Refrigerator - Icemaker Freon Loop Damaged

Skelly_gsr

Premium Member
Model Number
RF28
Brand
Samsung
Hello all, I've been searching the web and have yet to find anyone in the same situation as me. For the last 5 years I have battled the icemaker issues with my Samsung refrigerator. Every 3 weeks I need to completely pull the icemaker out and use a steamer to thaw it out.
After bending the freon loop so many time + pulling the icemaker out I put two holes in the icemaker freon loop. Does anyone know what the dimensions are of this line? I tried my best to get a micrometer up there and the dimension looked to be around .275".

At work out technicians use a lot of stainless tubing (1/4,3/8,1/2"). The brand we have is Swagelok. Is it possible to bend a new piece of stainless and tie into the existing stainless via compression fittings? I will need to have the unions a little behind the icemaker so it does not interfere. If I can do that, I'll schedule a technician to come out and vacuum the line and recharge.

I know the fridge is probably toast, but I refuse to give up on it. Let me know!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I have no idea what is used on that model but common domestic refrigerator refrigerant lines are 1/4 and 5/16 O.D. (not I.D.). I've not seen anything larger used.

Dan O.

Skelly_gsr

Premium Member
Hi Dan, Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming the Samsung units are made in China, which has me thinking they used metric tubing.

After some searching, it seems like 7mm tubing is nonexistent, however I did find this amazon.com/uxcell-Stainless-Thickness-Seamless-Straight/dp/B081G7HDRR/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&hvadid=77859198220794&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=7mm+tubing&qid=1608659197&sr=8-6&tag=mh0b-20

Sourcing 7MM OD compression fittings have left me empty. MSC or McMaster Carr do not carry 7mm.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I've never heard of metric tubing used on appliances. Maybe you can check with Samsung. However, many of the Samsung refrigerators sold in North American are made in Mexico not China. I might be able to tell from its serial number but I'm pretty sure they'd use the standard sizes found in other similar products.

JMO

Dan O.