FIXED RF28HDEDTSR Fridge Fan Not Working

shanemorton

Premium Member
Model Number
RF28HDEDTSR
Brand
Samsung
So just to give you a little background about me, I am actually a hvac/r service tech that don't normally work on appliances. I am actually working on this model for a friend of mine that been known for four years and yes it's a girl lol. So I actually found the fridge evap coil frozen up with ice and the evap fan was also frozen locked up with a little ice. After I got the system thaw out and turned the system back on, the compressor kicks in after a delay and you can see the evap coil starting to frost over and building ice, but the evap fan never came on. So I checked and I did had a 2V-2.8V DC going into the fan, but did noticed that it was a 12VDC fan and I tested the fan with a 9V battery and it works. My question is, do you think the PCB board is bad. There don't seem to be any error codes on the front panel or any beeping sounds like the service manual states. Does anyone else may know why I maybe not getting any power to the fan?

Thanks
Shane

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Shane,

Yes, the control board is bad if your only getting 2V-2.8V DC.

We need the complete model number, your missing some digits after the "R" at the end of your model number.

Here's the results I get:
RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0001
RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0002
RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0003
RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0004
RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0005
RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0006
RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0007
RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0008
RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0009
RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0010
RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0011

Jake

shanemorton

Premium Member
20190527_133527.jpg

See attachment for the image of the model data.

I am going to guess the full model is

RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0002

Thanks, where is the control board located in these models?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Shane, that's correct Rev. 2 is RF28HDEDTSR/AA-0002

I located this in the tech sheet for this model:
(Click to enlarge)
DC FAN MOTORS.png

Check the DC Voltage that way and see what you get.

Jake

shanemorton

Premium Member
I seen that the door switch controls the evap fan, does it have to be closed for the fans to come on? I had the doors open when I was testing the voltage at the fan plug inside the evap coil area. I had it running a good 10 mins and the fan never came on and the coil frozen frost.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes it does, just tape the door switch so its closed and do the DC Volt test.

Jake

shanemorton

Premium Member
Roger that, I do thank you for your knowledge. I check and confirm when I get back over there and let you know.

shanemorton

Premium Member
Update: System is now working normally. Turns out you were right, that the doors had to be closed for the fan to run. I guess that keeps the moisture being sucked into the space. I couldn't figure out where the door switch was located on the right side of the door, didn't see any mechanical switch on that door like I did on the left door. Ummm

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Shane, good job.:)

But we are still back to square one, the evaporator coil should only have a thin layer of frost on it, not ice. Ice means condensation is forming on the evap. coil which is usually the sign of a air leak from the warm kitchen coming in and forming condensation on the evap. coil.

So keep your eye on it for awhile to see if ice keeps forming on it and stopping that fan from running, it could of been the door was accidently left open a little bit for a long period of time.

Jake

shanemorton

Premium Member
They actually told me when I got there the first time that they had left the door open overnight by accident when the issue started to occur. I guessing that how it happened.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Bingo.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake