• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED RF28HMEDBSR/AA Samsung Refrigerator - water dispenser trickle and very little ice

CorriGa

Premium Member
Model Number
RF28HMEDBSRAA
Brand
Samsung
Hello,

I recently changed the filter on our Samsung RF28HMEDBSR refrigerator because the red light was on and we were having some ice issues with the ice maker and a generally low pressure flow from the dispenser. I assumed the low flow was caused by an old filter so I ordered a couple of non-Samsung filters on Amazon. After replacing the filter, the problem was not fixed and actually significantly worse. I then ordered a Samsung filter but nothing has changed. Our water dispenser is barely at a trickle and sometimes just drips out. The ice maker is functioning but our ice cubes are the size of uncooked shell pasta.

When I remove the filter the water supply pressure is excellent and it fills a pint glass in five or six seconds, but there's subsequently a noticeable drip drip drip from the filter housing. If I could just go without the filter I would but this leaking water ends up on the kitchen floor.

I'm not exactly certain what happened after changing that filter, but I realized that I made two mistakes that may have contributed to the problem--using a non-OEM filter and not shutting off the water supply when I swapped them out.

I'm assuming the problem is in the filter housing, but my question is how to fix it. Do I have to replace the entire water filter housing unit ($165) or can I replace the piece with the plastic star-shaped valve things?

Alternatively, is there a way to easily bypass that with an external inline filter and if so, how do you bypass the filter assembly itself so the dispenser and ice maker function normally?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It only comes as an assembly. I don't think you can bypass that style. Maybe, but I don't know how.
samsung-assy-case-water-da97-14365h-ap6248526_01_m.jpg

CorriGa

Premium Member
Bump to report back that it worked! What a hugely pleasant surprise. I was able to replace that assembly head without having to replace the entire unit.

Taking it apart was a little bit tricky if you don't know where to push in on the tabs but it was fairly straightforward otherwise. I didn't even have to unplug the refrigerator, just shut off the water supply.

First, turn off the water and remove the bottom crisper drawers, then remove the glass shelf. (This is not as easy as you'd think if you've ever tried to take it for cleaning purposes). After you've removed the bottom drawers you can see there are two little plastic tabs near and above the roller wheels for the drawers. Push both tabs in gently with a small flat head screwdriver and simultaneously push up from underneath the shelf and it should release. Whatever you do, DO NOT try to force the shelf loose from the back corners because you will break those plastic tabs in the back. I found a youtube video here that was very helpful with this step....

Next, remove your water filter if you haven't already and remove the clear plastic face over the entire water filter assembly unit. There are four plastic tabs, two on each side and top/bottom. Push those in gently with a flat head screwdriver and gently pry off. You will then need to do the same thing with the white plastic face behind it. Push those four tabs in and remove that face as well.

Now remove the two screws on the right side of the assembly and the one in the back of the refrigerator. You will see three plastic tabs at the top of the assembly--use the screwdriver to gently pry these up and the assembly will start to come apart. Find the corresponding three tabs at the bottom of the unit and carefully pop those open and you will be able to remove the right side of the assembly. Push it to the side and then unscrew the two screws holding the assembly head piece in place.

Examine the hoses and you will find two little red clips around each hose. Pop those out with carefully and set aside, then push the little grey ring in while pulling out on the hose. The hose should release. Repeat for the other hose.

Now replace the bad part with the new one. Mine came with a new hose attached but I pulled it out and simply used the existing ones in my refrigerator. I attached each hose in the same position they were in with the broken part, making sure the hoses were fully inserted, then I reinstalled the red clips around each one.

Next, replace the two screws holding the assembly head in place, then reassemble the unit making sure that the six plastic tabs snap cleanly. Replace the three metal screws on the side and back of the unit and then reattach the white plastic face and the clear plastic face. Reinsert the water filter, turn on the water supply, and install the glass shelf and drawers.

Finish with a cold beer.