• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RF28HMEDBSR Samsung freezer/fridge not cooling

tprice1020

Premium Member
Model Number
RF28HMEDBSR
Brand
Samsung
So against the advice of the nice folks on this forum 3 years ago I ended up buying the fridge. When I got it home I literally just plugged it in and it started working. I am assuming his evaporator coils were frozen over and they just needed to defrost. Other than the ice maker (pretty sure there's a class action out on that) everything has worked swimmingly up until the move.
We moved a few towns over and with the expectation of a kitchen remodel opted to leave the fridge in the new garage for a few months. 5 months later we bring the fridge inside and turn it on to check it and leave it running for a few days. Its pretty gross from the trapped moister. Lots of growth and rust and the drawer barely slides from the rust but both fridge and freezer are cold. We kill the power and let it sit for another few weeks until I get the time to clean it out and move it into place. Bleach and WD40 got everything looking and smelling good and fixed our drawer slide issue. We moved it into position and powered it on but now neither the fridge or freezer will cool below room temperature.

Symptoms:
No error codes on the display
Solid red light on the control board (No Error)
Compressor is audible and warm to the touch.
Compressor fan is on.
Condenser coils were vacuumed and now cleaner but were hardly dirty to begin with.
I opened the interior panel in the freezer that houses the evap coils and they didn't feel very cold to the touch after being on for several days. I observed the fan motor for the evap coils not spinning but it appeared to spin freely when I manually pushed the blades.

Not really sure where to go from here. Can't find any YT videos with similar model and symptoms. The fact that both compartments aren't cooling makes me think it's something more systemic rather than either of the evap coils. Interested in potentially adding freon from the auto store but think I might be wasting my time.

Any flogging for buying Samsung is fine but helpful advice or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

tprice1020

Premium Member
Actually, I've read through just about every Samsung fridge thread on this forum and I don't think there is anything anyone can do for me here. I am scheduling a pro to come out and take a look.
Will update you guys with findings..

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the compressor is running and your not getting a even frost pattern OR no frost at all on your evaporator coil, then it's always a sealed system problem, your warranty should cover that through Samsung.

Yes, keep us posted.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
About 20 to 30 minutes if you keep the doors closed.

Jake

tprice1020

Premium Member
Follow up.

Samsung support dispatched FriendsTek. I walked him over and explained all the symptoms. Plugged it in and I talked him through all my troubleshooting. He repeated almost exactly what Jake stated. Since the compressor was on and there was no cooling at all, the diagnosis was seal system related. Either leak or blockage. Unfortunately Samsung sealed system warranty is only 5 years and the manufacture date of my unit was 2014. I've reached out to the guy who owned the fridge previously to see if he has the receipt in hopes that its within 5 years but I am not optimistic.

Not surprised but a little disappointed. Was hoping the tech would at least hook something into the closed system and test pressure levels to conclusively pin point the issue. Makes no sense to me that moving it a few feet would cause this issue.

Needless to say, no more Samsungs for this family, appliance or otherwise.

Jake,
Thank you for your reply.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Makes no sense to me that moving it a few feet would cause this issue.
I agree.
Needless to say, no more Samsungs for this family, appliance or otherwise.
Sounds good. We recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, and Amana refrigerators, they are built much better and are more reliable.

My current refrigerator is a Whirlpool and its been working great since new in March 2014 when I moved to Arizona.

In Oregon I bought a new Maytag Refrigerator from Montgomery Ward in 1999 and it worked perfect until I sold my Oregon house in 2014 to move to Arizona. The new owners wanted to keep it.:)

Jake