• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RF28HMEDBSR Samsung Refrigerator Digital Panel Changes settings on its own

applianceblogger

Premium Member
Model Number
RF28HMEDBSR
Brand
Samsung
My refrigerator, on its own, switches from Water to Ice at random intervals--including when I'm getting water. I can't predict when it will happen, but it rarely makes it overnight without changing. When it changes, I hear the ding that I would hear if I manually made the change. And, sometimes it changes to Cubed and sometimes to Crushed (which I never use). Once it has changed, I've never known it to change again. This behavior has happened from Day One, and continues despite a swap out of the refrigerator and replacements of both the display unit with board and main board.

Here's the history:
New fridge had this problem and Sears swapped out for another new unit.
Second new fridge had same problem. Samsung agreed that it should not do this and arranged for a repair call.
Repair tech said never saw problem before and changed out the complete display/dispenser unit including control board.
Problem did not change and Samsung arranged for another repair call (Samsung always tells me that they never heard of this problem).
Main control board behind fridge was replaced. Tech thought it was possible that my electric service might be the cause.
Problem did not change in any way.
I tried a different outlet and used a power strip in an attempt to get a clue about electricity being the reason. The problem seems to occur only half as often, but still happens at least once a day.

So, Samsung says they haven't heard about this problem, but I've had it happen with two new refrigerators. At this point, I'd love to understand what this problem is and then try to get Samsung to fix it. My wife really likes this particular model, so I would like to find a fix rather than try a different model. The repair techs have been sympathetic, but don't know what to do either. And I'm still under warranty.

I noticed a thread for a GE unit from a couple of years ago that seemed to have a similar issue (I reused their thread title). Rick said that it was actually made by Samsung and he's had an issue like this drive him crazy, so I find it hard to believe that this is an "unknown" problem. I've done the whole disconnect/reconnect thing with both the door panel and the unit itself. I just don't know what else to try.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Sorry for the long post, I tried to get all the facts out there.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I've had the same thing happen to me on a Range where the clock oven control board keep switching numbers and beeping constantly when it was not even in use.

That customer lived very close to the high voltage electric transmission lines, and that seemed to be the cause.

Also a cell phone or cordless phone could cause this, lots of cell and cordless phones use the 900mhz.

Also I would check to see if any new cell phone, radio or tv towers have recently been built in your area.

Also check your neighborhood to see if maybe a new ham radio operator has set-up his rig recently or did work on it.

Jake

applianceblogger

Premium Member
Thanks for your thoughts Jake.

If it is some kind of interference or poor quality electricity, what's the best course of action (with a nod to cheap and/or easy)? Since this new refrigerator has been acting up since the beginning, I'm not sure if looking for changes in my environment will help me isolate the cause.

I'm surprised that modern appliances don't have something in their circuitry that handle these issues. Of course, I'm not sure this is the issue I have.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If it is some kind of interference or poor quality electricity, what's the best course of action (with a nod to cheap and/or easy)?
That's a good question, If I knew the answer, I would tell you.

Samsung should be able to investigate this further to find the fix, I'd keep pressing them till they do.

If worse comes to worse have Sears exchange it for a non-electronic refrigerator, the refrigerator's which are controlled by mechanical parts(Knobs Style), not electronic control board parts.

Jake

applianceblogger

Premium Member
I went ahead and asked Samsung for a service call. The local repair company they send has already told me in the past that they have no idea why I'm having the problem with the dispenser changing by itself, although one tech did mention there could be a problem with the electricity.

If anyone has any suggestions for speaking with the next tech who comes, please let me know.

LadyTech

Premium Member
Thanks for your thoughts Jake.

If it is some kind of interference or poor quality electricity, what's the best course of action (with a nod to cheap and/or easy)? Since this new refrigerator has been acting up since the beginning, I'm not sure if looking for changes in my environment will help me isolate the cause.

I'm surprised that modern appliances don't have something in their circuitry that handle these issues. Of course, I'm not sure this is the issue I have.
I have the same problem on a GE Profile GFE28HGHBBB. When I have it set on cubes and as soon as my glass touches the pad, the setting changes to crushed. It worked fine until recently. No known electrical interference, towers or home electrical issues. I’m wondering if others have seen this problem. I’m thinking it has a short in the board. Maybe a sticking key. The UI display board is $60. I guess I’ll replace the board and see what happens. I can’t find any other component that would cause the display to change from cube to crush by itself.
Anyone seen this before? Got any suggestions?

LadyTech

Premium Member
I have the same problem on a GE Profile GFE28HGHBBB. When I have it set on cubes and as soon as my glass touches the pad, the setting changes to crushed. It worked fine until recently. No known electrical interference, towers or home electrical issues. I’m wondering if others have seen this problem. I’m thinking it has a short in the board. Maybe a sticking key. The UI display board is $60. I guess I’ll replace the board and see what happens. I can’t find any other component that would cause the display to change from cube to crush by itself.
Anyone seen this before? Got any suggestions?
Since the display switches from cubed to crushed ice only when the glass is activating the switch, I’m suspecting the problem is in the circuit from the switch to the display. I’ve order the dispenser switch and display. I don’t like shotgunning parts, but sometimes the manufacturers leave us no other options. I’ll post my findings once I receive the parts so others with the same issue won’t have to replace unnecessary parts.