RF28K9070SG Samsung cooling not freezing

barks

Premium Member
Model Number
RF28K9070SG
Brand
Samsung
We bought a four-door Samsung refrigerator in March 2017. It is model #RF28K9070SG.

Usually, we kept the flex-zone on the bottom right as an extension of our refrigerator, and we used only the lower left as a freezer in our house. A few days ago, we noticed that everything in the freezer compartment had defrosted. It was still cool. We assumed that the door must not have had a good seal that day for some reason (we thought maybe some grocery item kept the door from closing fully???), threw out all of the food, and filled an ice cube tray with water to see if it would freeze. It finally did, so we restocked the freezer with groceries. We checked to be sure the door was not blocked from closing well. Fast forward a day, the items in the freezer defrosted again! Now, we are very frustrated. The freezer display screen will show temperatures as low as -5F, but we dug out our IR thermometer, and it only reads 31-32F. We cannot get either lower compartment to function as a freezer right now. Please help! We will outline our troubleshooting observations thus far…

• We checked the seals on the door, and everything looks good.
  • No errors have ever displayed on the screen.
  • The ice maker in the upper refrigerator section continues to work fine. The upper refrigerator section reads about 2F lower by our IR thermometer than the display screen reads, but it is cooling acceptably for our food.
  • We have not experienced any ice forming on the walls or water collecting in any of the compartments (that we can see).
  • There are no unusual noises coming from the unit.
  • We set the fourth door flex-zone to freezer mode, and it can also only cool to about 28-29F, according to our IR thermometer. So, it can cool to about one degree colder than the dedicated freezer, but it, too, cannot act as a true freezer according to the FDA right now.
  • We pulled the unit away from the wall. Without removing any panels, we could see nothing unusual on the back side of the refrigerator.
  • We unplugged the unit from the wall for slightly over 2 minutes and replugged it back in. We were happy to see temperature display show up that was close to actual (read 34 F in the freezer and 38 F in the refrigerator when it booted back up). As the unit ran, we hoped the reboot had fixed the problem. However, this morning, the display read the freezer as operating at 5F, and it still had an actual internal temperature of 30-31F (according to IR thermometer). We lowered the set temperature to the freezer down to -5F. The display showed a slowly decreasing temperature from 5F to -5F, but in reality the temperature stayed close to the same (30-31F in the freezer on the left and 28-29F in the freezer on the right). The ice cube trays we put on the top shelf are barely frozen in the freezer (some liquid water remains inside).

Why would the Samsung still cool the bottom half, but not be able to cool much past 32F? Why does the display screen show inaccurate temperatures that supposedly decrease along with program settings but don’t actually reflect the temperatures inside even changing?

barks

Premium Member
I listened specifically this morning to try to hear if the compressor turned off. I have not heard it turn off yet.

Update: We left the freezer set at -5F (and the display falsely stated it had reached that temperature within a few minutes of it being set) overnight. This morning, the temperature had dropped since last night to 23F in the left freezer compartment (from 30F last night) and 14F in the right flex-zone set to freezer mode (from 28F last night). It is still no where close to the set temperature, however.

In doing more on-line research last night, it appears that others have had this problem, but I cannot find mention of the solution.

barks

Premium Member
I just realized that I posted this under the general "refrigerators & freezers" forum instead of the "Samsung" sub-forum. Can a moderator move the post, or should I repost it myself in the correct sub-forum?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK leave the machine plugged in and running and remove the cover(s) over the evaporator in the freezer and check the frost pattern on the coils. Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the tech sheet for that model yet. Locate your tech sheet, probably under a hinge cover or behind the lower kick plate, and follow the steps to test the thermistors. This is Samsung's flagship machine of a poorly designed nightmare. The first one of these machines I had a service call took 90 minutes to diagnose the problem (bad board) and most likely the reason you didn't find a solution online. I'll look for the tech sheet because without it, we're dead in the water. If you locate yours, post it here.

iSaad

What is the update on this? We having the same issues and are out of warranty

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Common locations are, under a hinge cover, behind the lower grill, in an envelope under the machine, and inside a control panel.