FIXED RF30HBEDBSR Flexzone Control won't change

djpinoy

Premium Member
Model Number
RF30HBEDBSR
Brand
Samsung
Hey there - was searching around for Flexzone drawer issues and found the threads about it freezing, but I have a different problem.

I have a Samsung RF30HBEDBSR with the middle Flexzone drawer. It's almost 3 years old and recently the flexzone controller (the button that lets you choose between the 4 temperatures) has stopped working. Overnight, it may randomly change temps, but usually, when you push the button, nothing happens (no chime, no change). The current temperature, however, stays lit and I've verified with a thermometer that the flexzone drawer is holding at the temperature advertised.

Both the upper fridge section and the lower freezer section are also holding the correct temps (I've set to 37F and 0F, respectively), so it leads me to believe this is less a cooling / compressor problem but more either a controller or damper problem. Does anyone have any insight or tips to help diagnose if I just need to replace the controller panel assembly? Or look deeper at damper malfunction (I'm assuming there's a damper somewhere that controls cold air flow into the flexzone drawer?)

I found the Samsung "Fast Track Troubleshooting" guide that had been posted on this forum in another thread and observed:
* Self Diagnosis Mode did not show any error codes
* Load Mode didn't seem to show any obvious problems (I see codes for "Compressor On", "Fan at high speed", etc. etc.)

Thanks!

Flex Zone Control Not Changing.png

djpinoy

Premium Member
So I got curious and removed the tray from the Flexzone Drawer. Inside the door, there is an 8 pin connector which appears to connect the Flexzone controller (the single button, plus lights for the four LEDs for the temperature settings) to the rest of the fridge. Disconnecting this and re-connecting it appears to mimic one button press (shifting it over to the next coldest temp). So after repeating this a couple of times, was able to get it to my desired temperature. I measured the temperature of the Flexzone Drawer over night and it seems to be reaching the temperature I want.

The question now: Does anyone know how to disassemble / remove the Flexzone controller itself? I want to take a look at it to see if there's damage to it due to repeated button pressing (?).

The diagram at AppliancePartsPros.com seems to show that it is sold as a whole assembly - but not sure if maybe there are screws hidden under the faceplate of the controller? Or maybe I need to disassemble the door of the Flexzone drawer itself to get access to the assembly inside the door? Any pointers or tips would be useful - else I'll just start hacking away!

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

djpinoy

Premium Member
Thanks Jake!

I've scanned through the Service Manual already and while the English can be tough to read through :p, there's a ton of great information in there. I'm trying to find some time to pop open the back of the fridge and double check whether the key presses to the Mid Drawer control panel (Flexzone) are actually making it all the way to the MICOM.

However, one thing I didn't see yet is exactly how to open up and replace the Mid Drawer control panel, in case it actually ends up being the culprit. Maybe I missed it, and it's not something I need immediately - will keep trying to diagnose with what you've provided.

Thanks so much - will keep you posted!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

Pascosa

Hello! I’m having the exact same issue with the Flex Zone drawer. The temperature stays at 42 degrees no matter how many times I hit the temperature button. I opened the drawer to have access to the 8-pin cable connection and performed the same action that djpinoy did (re-connecting to see if the temperature changes) and no luck, the temperature stays in the same set point (42 degrees). The fridge and freezer temperature are working fine. Can any somebody advise a solution/fix for this issue?

Rolando Rosa

Premium Member
Same problem here, my Flex Zone drawer display quit working . no lights at all on the Flex Zone display panel. Samsung model RF31FMEDBWW/AA. I actually bought the Temperature-Controlled Drawer Display Assembly for the flex zone drawer but I just have no idea how to install it. how do you remove this thing? to replace the new part under the display: DA97-10605C Assy Cover Control

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

That overlay should just peel off the display module.

Get a small screwdriver and work it underneath one corner and it should peel off.

Jake

Rolando Rosa

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I was able to replace the part easy as you instructed. But i found a bigger problem; The wiring harness cable leading to the flex zone drawer display panel is completely cut. It looks like it got caught in the drawer sliding rail system and got sliced. I went to the repairclinic.com website but i could not find it. You know where i can find this wire harness for the flex zone drawer on this Samsung french door refrigerator model # RF31FMEDBWW/AA ?

IMG_20180723_085408507.jpg IMG_20180723_085434398.jpg IMG_20180723_092141502.jpg IMG_20180723_092233831.jpg IMG_20180723_085024265 (1).jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Rolando, thanks for the update!

Jake

HigginsBane

Premium Member
Yes. That is the part. Thank you very much Jake
Hey Rolando. I'm having an issue with my controller unit, where I'm not able to press the button. When you were swapping this harness out, where you able to see what pair of wires went to the button?

Or, did you come across a way to take the control unit out without damaging it? I just need to cycle the button once, and I won't change it after that.

Rolando Rosa

Premium Member
That's the same way my unit started acting up, and it was because the harness cable was being frayed cut by the railing. So I was not able to change the button settings cause only half of cable was making contact with the controller.
You need to inspect the entirety of the cable. In order to do so, you need to remove the tray drawer, sit it on the floor and follow along the wire harness with a flashlight to check for cuts.
The wire harness was being cut by the railing as it is a moving part.

IMG_20190224_200816298.jpg IMG_20190224_200837703.jpg IMG_20190224_200856193.jpg IMG_20190224_200837703.jpg IMG_20190224_201519729.jpg IMG_20190224_201550443.jpg IMG_20190224_201629560.jpg

Last edited:

HigginsBane

Premium Member
Okay thanks! When you pulled the control panel cover off, were you able to stick it back on or did you need a new one?

Rolando Rosa

Premium Member
I was able to stick it back in place, it comes with a sticky gooey substance that sticks again. Or you could use some type of white Elmer's glue around the edges I guess, but I had no problem sticking back in place several times without a problem.
I still have the old panel control unit in working conditions because it was nothing wrong with the control panel and I had bought a new one. The wire harness was cut completely so I had to buy it and replece it.

I could send you the old used panel unit by mail if you need it, it's old/used but still works (I know I have it somewhere in the garage, if I can find it) let me know.

But I bet you is nothing wrong with your panel control buttons; it's the wire harness cable that's broken instead because is being chewed on by the railing mechanism every time you pull open the flex drawer and not communicating properly with the panel buttons.

HigginsBane

Premium Member
That's very generous, thanks :)

I'll check if it is that cable, and send you a PM if I end up needing that control unit.