• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RF30HBEDBSR Samsung Refrigerator 22 E code

Gbod

Premium Member
Model Number
RF30HBEDBSR
Brand
Samsung
So I am scratching my head on this one.

Our refrigerator door was left open one night (Samsung RF30HBEDBSR). The next morning, the frig was reading 60 F degrees. I closed the door and checked it hours later. It never got below 55 F. I figured that the evaporator coil was frozen up and the fan was stuck. I took it apart and everything was fine. You see I had already performed the upgrade to improve the sealing of the refrigerator evaporator section two months prior. I guess it worked.

So I checked the diagnostics and it is giving me a 22E code

I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in after a couple hours. Everything works fine now but the 22E error code keeps popping up.

So I went after three other options:

I tested the fan from the control board per service manual. It is sending voltage. Either 0, 8 or 12 depending on when I check it. In reading, the fan is supposed to operate at two speeds so all is good there.

I opened up the ice cube section. Even after installing Samsung's "fixes" and sealing the section, it still ices up, so I cleaned it all out. Didn't fix the 22E error, but I am getting more ice. Possible Tip - I mostly closed the ball valve on the water inlet as my latest theory is the water pressure is to strong causing it to splash out. We will see.

Then I cleared out the freezer and checked the evaporator coil in the freezer thinking maybe it was frozen up and somehow was triggering the 22E fresh food fan failure code. All good there as well. I also checked its voltage readings off of the control board and it was good.

So here is the current state:

I keep checking the diagnostic mode (holding Energy Save and Lighting at same time for 8-10 sec) two to three times a day. 90% of the time I get the 22E code. once or twice I got no error.

I went ahead and ordered a replacement fan as I have had the fresh food evaporator section freeze up several times where the fan was eventually stuck. I figure it is wore out anyway.

At the same time, I don't believe this is going to fix the problem.

Is everything ok and there is some special button sequence that clears codes that I have not found?

Looking for other ideas.

Thanks

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Either 0, 8 or 12
Never 0V unless the refrigerator is off. Check the pins in the connector and see if any are starting to back out. Check feedback voltage. When the motor is running it generates pulse voltage to the MICOM. Put the black meter lead on J23 control board ground and the red lead on CN76-4 (orange) Operating voltage should alternate with 2V. If the feedback voltage is not continuous after several tries, there's a 10 minute time out.

Gbod

Premium Member
Can you clarify for me:

1. Operating voltage should alternate with 2V and 0V?
2. Does the same apply for CN76-3 and CN76-5 that they should never read 0 volts? I tested them also.
3. If it doesn't read between 0 and 2 is it the fan or the control board that is bad?

Thanks

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Gbod

Premium Member
Get a solid 11.8 volt or 8.4 volt when black meter lead on J23 control board ground and the red lead on CN76-4 (orange).

Interesting, when I checked diagnostics, the 22 E did not show up.

The error code is definitely not consistent.

Beginning to wonder is something is going bad on control board.

Just not sure which one.

I did notice a little bit of a burnt smell when opening up the back panel to the control boards.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wouldn't it be the main control board Rick?

Here's the main control board for his model:
samsung-assy-pcb-main-da92-00484d-ap5914911_01_l.jpg