• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED RF323TEDBSR/AA Samsung refrigerator not getting cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abrown1

Premium Member
Model Number
RF323TEDBSR/AA
Brand
Samsung
I have a sumsung RF323TEDBSR/AA and the refrigerator side is not getting cold, the freezer works great. I pulled the shelf’s out and the back off and the coil isn’t freezing up. My next step was going to be to check the damper, where is it located?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Your machine has a separate evaporator for the refrigerator section. The refrigerator and the freezer each have an evaporator and are cooled individually. Make sure the fan at the top of the air tower is working. If the compressor is running and there is no frost on the evaporator coils, the problem could be a refrigerant leak. Many Samsung refrigerators incorporate the Time Divided Multi-cycle (TDM) System to switch refrigerant flow. The TDM design uses a stepper motor and a diverter valve to switch refrigerant flow. Depending on temperature values, the refrigerant can be applied to the full loop or to the freezer section only. Force on the fridge using the “Power Cool” option. Monitor the fridge evaporator temperature
by measuring the voltage at the refrigerator defrost sensor. The temperature at the sensor should decrease, causing the voltage to increase. If the sensor voltage is not changing, suspect that the main PCB is defective and not supplying the signal to switch the diverter valve to the full position. Look on your tech sheet for the defrost sensor connector on the main board.

Abrown1

Premium Member
I’ll check that out. Thanks for the input. Would a bad defrost sensor cause this, or is that sensor only for the defrost cycle. I have it apart the other day and there was frost all around the sensor, and the cover that screws into the back of the inside of the refrigerator was frozen up top where it seals against the top. I had a hard time getting it off. With that being said I assume the evaporator is getting cold enough to freeze these points. I also hear the fan start to turn-on once I close the door. Where is the fan located?
Thank you

rickgburton

Staff member
Would a bad defrost sensor cause this,
No, it's just a way to tell if the diverter valve is working and sending refrigerant to the evaporator. On Power Cool the valve is open to the refrigerator evaporator. If the voltage increases the defrost sensor is getting colder which means the valve is working.
Where is the fan located?
Top of the air tower.
I have it apart the other day and there was frost all around the sensor, and the cover that screws into the back of the inside of the refrigerator was frozen up top where it seals against the top.
?? Take a pic and post it here.

Abrown1

Premium Member
Thank for all your help. I check that sensor. So the fan is located around where the evaporator is? When I had the panel off the other day I didn’t see a fan in there.

rickgburton

Staff member
So the fan is located around where the evaporator is?
Top of the air tower
It comes as part of the air tower:
samsung-assy-cover-evap-da97-12608a-ap5620515_01_l.jpg
samsung-assy-cover-evap-da97-12608a-ap5620515_03_l.jpg

Abrown1

Premium Member
Damn, I had it apart and never noticed it. I’ll keep ya posted on my findings. Once again thank you

Abrown1

Premium Member
Ok I have an update. This refrigerator never really got that cold from new. After pulling the back panel inside the refrigerator off to test the fan, it tested good I noticed a yellow wire that runs up front also. I figured it was ya thermostat by the color of the wiring, and I was correct. Anyway, the thermostat was encased mostly in foam from the factory and some how got water behind it and the foam and it froze so it was always showing 34 degrees. I removed the thermostat and just ran it out the top of the cover. Now it is running better than ever.
Thanks for you help, I never would have seen the thermostat if you didn’t point towards the fan.
2565CE16-32EF-429D-A45F-A831A31ACABB.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.