RF32FMQDBSR Samsung Refrigerator - Freezer fine but refrigerator at 47 degrees

ceeyahd1

Model Number
RF32FMQDBSR
Brand
Samsung
I have the dreaded Samsung 4 door fridge. I have set the bottom right door to cool and left freezer door. Both are working great. The top 2 doors are the fridge and the temp will not go below 47. I have taken the plastic evaporator cover off and the coil is not iced up but only the right side of the evaporator is frozen. I bought the fridge 7 years ago but just started using it 2 years ago. I fixed the ice maker and that works great.

I ordered and replaced the evaporator panel that includes the fan assembly only because I got it for $28.00 and it seemed like a cheap fix to try out but that did not fix the problem. Is it normal to have the evaporator coil frozen just on the right side? Would hate to just toss it out since I have only used it for less than 2 years and other than the icemaker I have had no other problems.

Thanks for your help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
ceeyahd1 said:
...but only the right side of the evaporator is frozen.
That's not good. The evaporator is starving. This is a sealed system issue and sealed system repairs can be expensive often exceeding the machines value. It could be a refrigerant leak, a restriction in one of the refrigerant lines or an inefficient compressor. To diagnose the problem with the sealed system a set of refrigerant gauges needs to be connected to the machine. If you want to take a few pics and post the here I'll take a look and confirm it's a sealed system issue.

ceeyahd1

Thanks for your response. I attached a picture and you can see the main line on the right is the only part of the evaporator that is frozen. The fridge was used less than 2 years. I want to make sure it is not something minor like a temp. sensor bad before I trash it. I understand the fridge side of this unit uses a special freon that needs special equipment to repair. I searched and was unable to understand how to get into the diagnostics to check for a code. Does this fridge have 2 compressors? The freezer is fine and bottom right door is used as a fridge and that's fine. If there is blockage in the evaporator can it be cleared without cutting the lines?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
ceeyahd1 said:
...the main line on the right is the only part of the evaporator that is frozen.
That's definitely a sealed system problem. It's not a sensor.

ceeyahd1 said:
I understand the fridge side of this unit uses a special freon that needs special equipment to repair.... Does this fridge have 2 compressors?
Correct, well almost. It does have two compressors and one uses R600 refrigerant. And that my friend makes the refrigerator unrepairable. R600 is flammable and you need special certification.

ceeyahd1 said:
If there is blockage in the evaporator can it be cleared without cutting the lines?
No. You can't even work on the R134a side because it has R600 in the same machine.

ceeyahd1

I really appreciate your help on this. I just did not want to trash a pretty much brand new fridge if it was just a sensor or easy fix. I already ordered a new fridge and it is definitely not a Samsung.

Thanks again

ceeyahd1

Thanks for the info. I made sure I stayed away from All Samsung fridges when I purchased a replacement this week. Paid over $3000, Ice maker was junk and unit lasted than 2 years and it's unrepairable.

Thanks for your help.