FIXED RF4287HARS Ice maker stopped making ice

MrSanc8

Premium Member
Model Number
RF4287HARS
Brand
Samsung
Hello everyone.

Our refrigerator recently stop making ice. For the last few weeks, we kept hearing a low droning sound, but did not make much of it, until the ice maker stopped making ice. And I think both of these things could be correlated.
I found the service manual online, and performed the self diagnostic troubleshooting procedure, and it came back with code 39E, which is for the ice maker, and it says "After changing the Ice Maker(R), plug the
refrigerator power code again, and check the operation."

My question here is, do I have to replace the entire ice maker to correct this problem, or is there something else I can check that may be causing the ice maker to produce ice, besides the complete ice maker unit itself?
Water still comes out of the water dispenser with good pressure, and I have not noticed any leaks on the floor coming from underneath the refrigerator.

I have attached a .wav file with the sound I kept hearing. You will have to raise the volume to make it out.

Below is the error from the service manual:

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 10.47.16 PM.png

Your help and input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Is the temperature below 16 degrees for it to make ice? If so, then yes your ice maker has gone bad.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
DA97-07365G Ice Maker Assembly

Jake

MrSanc8

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply, Jake!

What is the best way for me to confirm the temperature? Do I purchase a separate temperature gauge and place it in the freezer?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, most grocery or home stores(Walmart, Target) carry them. Get the liquid or digital style freezer thermometer.:)

Jake

MrSanc8

Premium Member
Hi Jake. Got a chance to finally get a temperature gauge, and i have attached a picture of the gauge after being in the freezer overnight.
Way below 16 degrees.... I've just order the ice maker.

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 10.12.10 PM.png

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, your freezer temperature is perfect.:)

Yes, the new ice maker should fix it, let us know how it goes.

Jake

MrSanc8

Premium Member
Hello Jake.

Just wanted to report back and thank you for your assistance. I finally got around to replacing the ice maker, as you had suggested, and that did the trick. Working like a charm.

I found this video showing how to replace it: https://click.linksynergy.com/deeplink?id=YO6223WzStY&mid=13810&murl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.appliancepartspros.com%2Fsamsung-assy-ice-maker-da97-07592a-ap4448202.html

Took about 20 minutes to replace. Though is not the same model fridge, but uses the same ice maker.

Hope this helps anyone else that encounters the same problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new ice maker fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

CoolMoDee

Premium Member
Hi - I'm having the same issue that Jake described (same noise + no ice + + diagnostic code 88 89) but different model # ([video=youtube_share;U7AKc-IUiN4]https://youtu.be/U7AKc-IUiN4[/video]). My question is what within the ice maker is producing the noise and can the ice maker be dismantled beyond just pulling the unit from the fridge and a specific part replaced or repaired to resolve the issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, I hear it.

No, they just make the ice maker available to purchase, not the individual parts for it.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
DA97-05422A Ice Maker Assembly

Jake

CoolMoDee

Premium Member
Jake - The applicance Parts website indicates Part Number DA97-07365G is the correct ice maker for RFG297ABRS/XAA and not DA97-05422A. Do you agree?

Ice Maker Assembly
This is a nine cube ice maker.

by Samsung
Part Number AP5651749
MFG Part Number DA97-07365G

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that's correct. I was going by the basic model number, so I posted the wrong ice maker for your model in post #10, sorry about that.

I located a bulletin that Samsung wants you to order parts by the BOM Name.

So per your BOM Name your model takes the same ice maker as the OP.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
DA97-07365G Ice Maker Assembly

Jake