Not open for further replies.
D

duck911

Model Number
RF4287HARS
Brand
Samsung
Hi all,

SO, a few days ago our french door Samsung started freezing food in the refrigerator section.

Even when set at 38, or 40, or 42, the temp drops into the 20's. The evaporator fan runs 100% of the time (is this normal?)

Steps taken so far:

1) Pulled unit away from the wall and cleaned all coils behind the fridge.
2) defrosted for 24 hours
3) pulled cover out of inside of fridge. Fridge cabinet evap coils showed no ice build up, just frost.
4) Defrost thermistor tested ~5k ohms at ~75 degrees. value changes when hot or cold applied.
5) Fridge temp thermistor tested the same as above

Reassembled, put fridge back with extra clearance, and fridge STILL drops to arctic temps.

I even taped over 4 of the 6 air holes on the back of the fridge to try to slow the cold air and I am still getting freezing.

Should the evap fan shut off? Could it be that the thermistor shows a valid reading at room temp but is defective at lower temps? (we'll know more on that tomorrow - I have a new one coming which will be installed, even though I think my current one is fine)

Any other ideas? Main board?

Thanks!

--Duck911

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Press Energy Saver and Lighting buttons simultaneously for 8-12 seconds, (No sound when both buttons are pressed at the same time) until the display quits blinking and beeps, then release the buttons and read any Fault Codes.

D

duck911

Forgot to mention I also did that step: NO fault codes.

Is the evap fan supposed to run non-stop?

rickgburton

Staff member
duck911 said:
.....the thermistor shows a valid reading at room temp but is defective at lower temps?
Make an ice slurry. To do this, fill a cup with ice (preferably crushed), then add water and a teaspoon of salt to make a slush. Mix thoroughly and allow to sit for 2 to 3 minutes. This will give you a 32°Freference. Now, lower the thermistor into the mixture and leave for about 1 minute, then check the resistance. It should be very close to 13,300Ω. Before reinstalling the sensor, be sure to rinse it with fresh water and dry it.

duck911 said:
Is the evap fan supposed to run non-stop?

Only when calling for cooling. The thermistor controls fan/compressor on/off to maintain temperature

D

duck911

Received new thermistor in the mail a little bit ago. Tested in cold slurry, reads right at ~13k ohms. It is now in the fridge, fired it up, and the temp went right into the 20's. Compressor is cycling on and off, fridge evap fan is still running non-stop.

--Duck911

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
D

duck911

Thanks Jake,

I am beginning to come to that conclusion too.

My Samsung does not have a XAA-000 or XAA-001 designation. Just RF4287HARS/XAA

Here is a pic of the info plate from inside the fridge, and a pic of my board. Any ideas which one I should order?

model.jpg
board.jpg

D

duck911

Actually, looking at the pics from the 2 links above, it looks like my board is the one for a RF4287HARS/XAA-0001?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok duck,

If no additional numbers are at the end of your model number, then it defaults to 0000.

This is the board for your model: DA41-00684A Assy Pcb Main

Jake

D

duck911

Strange.... That doesn't look like my board. I don't have that big heatsink in the upper left below the screw-down terminals. If you look at my pic, mine has circuitry and "AW3-SMPS" like the one in your second link for the 0001.

Not arguing or disagreeing, it's just...... strange!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I compared that board to yours and it looks identical to me.:)

The board for 0001 has more components on it then yours.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, your right, its the 0001 board you need. LOL, that's weird, I could of sworn it was the 0000 one.

This one 0001 is yours:
DA92-00233D

The 0000 board has more components on it. LOL, Sorry about that!

Jake

D

duck911

Cool, thanks you guys for the help! I'll post up with the final results once I get a board and install.

rickgburton

Staff member
This is the refrigerator I've called my nemesis since 2005...Lol. There's was a class action lawsuit on the ice makers. I had one 6 months out of warranty with a broken defrost wire in the cabinet. Her only option, replace the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.