• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED RF4287HARS Low/No Water from the door, and now the ice maker can't keep up

CJ230k

Premium Member
Model Number
RF4287HARS
Brand
Samsung
Hello! I stumbled upon this forum while doing some research for my Samsung refrigerator that's started acting up recently, and found the posts to be very informative, so I'm hopeful this post gets some good advice as well.

We moved into a house in July 2019 where I convinced the former owners to leave the fridge. Things have been working fine until the past week or so when the water pressure from the door began to decline. Usually, I'd replace the filters and this would fix the issue, however, this time it did not. I also read that Samsung is very particular about its filters, so I bought an OEM Samsung filter to double-check (I'd been using some off brands from Amazon which had been fine until now). I noticed that when I took the off-brand filter out, water dribbled from the filter housing, but water would dispense fine without the filter (though I couldn't leave it in this state or I'd have needed to build an Ark from the coming fridge flood due to leakage). I also noted when I switched to the Samsung filter, that when I first tested the water at the door, it was a raging flow for 3-5 seconds, then began to dribble, and now we get zero water at the door. Each subsequent time I take out the filter, the leaking from the housing gets worse. Also over the past 4-5 days, the ice maker has also begun to not be able to keep up. I completely emptied it manually today over lunch (3-4 hours ago) and am waiting to see how much, if any, ice has been made after dinner time tonight.

I'm not really sure what I should do, as the fridge itself is going on 10 years old, so not sure if it's worth it to try to troubleshoot with parts and spend a few hundred on that and hope it stays running for a few more years (though if the fix is relatively inexpensive/not too labor-intensive, this is optimal), or just bite the bullet and go with a completely new unit. Any insight would be much appreciated, as this is perplexing me.

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi CJ,

This is the part that usually goes out when water becomes slow or non-existent at the water dispenser and ice maker:
samsung-a-s-case-da81-05883a-ap5780463_01_m.jpg

Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz...=sharing&resourcekey=0-ArNs7NTeUA3gq27as3HBTA

Page 38 and 39 tell you how to remove it and replace it.

Jake

CJ230k

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake! I appreciate the response. I requested access to the Google Drive file, so will take a look at that once it's been granted.

Also, just to confirm, if this part didn't end up solving my issues, I would be able to return for a refund (less shipping)?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I requested access to the Google Drive file, so will take a look at that once it's been granted.
Ok, click on it now it should open.

Also, just to confirm, if this part didn't end up solving my issues, I would be able to return for a refund (less shipping)?
Unfortunately not because it has a electrical part in it.

Jake

CJ230k

Premium Member
Replaced this part and it seems to have fixed my issues! Wanted to paste up a nice step-by-step detailed guide in case anyone in the future comes looking for help on how to replace it. I pulled this from Roger S. on the AppliancePartsPros site where I purchased the water filter housing:

Replaced Case Water Filter assembly DA81-05883A. Please read my post entirely before starting. I completed all the tasks that I could without having to disconnect the refrigerator since it was full of food.

First I removed the panel on top of the refrigerator that covers the water line that feeds the dispenser on the left door. Do not disconnect any electrical connections or the water line at this time.

Remove the panel from the back bottom of the refrigerator that covers the compressor and water valve, and remove the screw holding the water valve in place and pull it out to access the water lines. Now remove the small white panel that covers the water lines coming from the case filter in the center of the fridge.

Next remove the two vegetable drawers and shelf above drawers from the fridge. At this point you can disconnect power to the fridge and turn off the water supply.

There are 4 lines on the case assembly, 3 white and 1 blue, you can see where they all go from your current set up. You can take a picture if you feel more comfortable before disconnecting the lines. You will reuse the existing connectors on the back to connect the new lines.

Disconnect the lines from the water valve, the large white line on the bottom and the blue line on top. The blue line uses a 1/2 inch wrench and is connected by a nipple on the water valve. After unscrewing the nut, simply pull the blue line off the nipple and save the nut. The large white line is disconnected by unsnapping the black cover on the bottom of the water valve that surrounds the line and remove it.

The lines are held in by a push and lock system. To release the line, push in on the washer around the hose and pull the hose out. Disconnect the short white line from the water supply with a 1/2 inch wrench and pull the line from the brass nipple. Remove the nut from the line and save the fitting. Disconnect the long white tube from the fitting tube on the top of the fridge by pushing in on the washer around the tube and pulling the tube out. Do the same for the line on the other end of the fitting tube the runs into the left door. Replace this fitting tube with the one that came with the case assembly, mine was red on one end and white on the other. Make sure you look at the fitting tube and connect it with the arrow pointing with the flow of water.

Push the line from the door into the new fitting tube until it stops. Next pull the long white line from the hole in the back until it is out and remove all lines from the retainers on the back of the fridge, remembering where they go. Next remove the water filter and then remove two screws from the back of the case assembly and slowly pull it out until you see the wire connector and disconnect it. You will have to lift up on the front of the assembly and then pull. Now you can pull the assembly completely out of the fridge, pulling all the water lines through the hole.

Assemble the new case assembly in the reverse making sure you push all lines in to the mark on the line. You can pull on them a little to make sure they don't slide out. The large white line has a mark that stops and the bottom of the black cover that was removed. You may be able to push in on the black cover and pull the hose out rather than unclipping and removing it first. Either way should work, I removed mine. Remember to put the retaining nut on the short white line and the blue line before attaching it to the nipple on the fitting. Do not remove the caps that are on the new lines until they are ran to the point where they connect. This will prevent debris from entering the line.

The read may be long, but it is actually a relatively quick job (60 minutes tops for me), I just wanted to include all my steps. I was skeptical at first because there are no instructions, specifically because I didn't know if I had to replace the fittings. There is nothing that tells you about the fittings and you can't tell what type they are until you remove them. After the install I have a strong water dispenser stream. Hope this helps someone else.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent CJ, glad to hear that new Water Filter Case Assembly fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update and the added information you provided!

Jake